< Help The Baby Robin >

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
I have this little obin. I kow its best to leave them if found on the ground, but the little neighbor girl brought it to me....She said it fell out of a nest and when she put it back in the nest it fell out again and the nest came down with it. So she had it in a baby stroller with parts of the nest, I guess she had it overnight. She is 7 years old, and had kept it hidden from her grandmother, and when her grandmother found out she said she couldn't keep it. So she brought it to me. I know its best to leave them, but seeing as its been 3 days and the nest is no longer there, its been pawed apart by a 7 year old, I think I pretty much need to help this little guy. He has a lot of his feathers.
My question is...How will he learn to fly? Do I need to leave him outside in a high place so he can practice flying when he knows its time? Do I leave him down low so I can get to him better? Will he learn to fly on his own?

Last edited:
I would like for it to return to the "wild" if possible, I'm not looking to make a wild animal a pet...i want to give it the best chance of survival.
I have heard of people keeping starlings as pets in house cages...is that because when hand raised they can't be safe or able to fend for themselves?

Starlings are an invasive species. It's perfectly legal to keep them as pets as releasing them into the wild will only help destroy native species.

My robin didn't survive...hopefully yours does! Hopefully someone will come along to help!

24 hours. When it got "run over" by the semi (came out seemingly unscathed?), it must have done some damage, or it could have been injured from the fall from the nest. I felt awful when I saw it lying there, but at least it passed comfortably.

My father once raised a robin when he was a kid. They kept him in the house and took him outside for outings when he got older. Then, one day, he just flew away. They saw him for a few days (or maybe weeks, I don't know all the facts) and then he didn't come back.

If in any way possible, take the robin to a rehab place or sanctuary. It is definitely the safest and smartest choice.

However, if that isn't possible, then...
...You should keep the robin outside, if the nights aren't too cold. Make him a nest if possible. Feed it bugs (using common sense, of course; don't feed ladybugs, don't feed too bit of a bite...) and dog food or kitten chow. You should soak dry dogfood or kitten chow until moist and squishy. Canned dog food can work too. Feed in small bites using tweezers or the end of a plastic spoon or fork. Get the bird used to flying, catching bugs, etc.

Okay, so I have found out that there is no awildlife rehabilitation place anywhere remotely close to me. there is a wildlife sanctuary, but they told me to call state patrol to find out if there was a rehabber around here and state patrol didn't have any close by. Currently baby rob is on the front porch, I have a box over his "nest" because the neighbors cats love to come visit my yard, I think I will have Dh fix up a box type nest that he be up high and safe from the cats....if he hops out should I just let him be? Is that how they learn to fly?

Back
Top Bottom