Un-hijacking the hijacked.. A continued wayward discussion..

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Give me a better title and I'll change it.
tongue.png

I'll start with this one:

Quote:
Along with the new hawk breeding program, we also need to run parallel programs with fox, coon, bear, snake, coyote, and the other ill-bred chicken-killing predators out there!
wink.png

Because humans are so much better at breeding animals than nature..
roll.png

-Kim

Quote:
I understand that our domestic animals are bred for their purposes. Which they fill quite nicely.

I was thinking about the natural predators we were talking about. The hawks and etc. Think about it. These hawks have survived in the wild over time because they were bred to survive. Now we are talking about breeding them to be "non-aggressive non chicken eating" hawks.

Which do you think would survive better once released into the wild?

I think humans do an excellent job on breeding the domestic animal. Well, the people that do it correctly anyway. I was referring to the idea of breeding an already wild animal to be able to survive in the wild. I think when it comes to breeding wild animals, nature has us all whipped.

-Kim

I misread your post. I thought it was yet another "Nature always good, Man always bad" post. Sorry.

No, we cannot outbreed hawks or such to remain in the wild. Once we breed to suit us, they have to remain with us. Part of the responsibility angle we must accept when we ply any craft with our hands, be it chickens or A-bombs.

The whole domestic versus wild debate is for us, not them, anyway. They are one or the other, but know little difference in either case.

Hawks should remain as they are. Indeed, all wild creatures. However, I am not so benevolent as to suggest they should have free hand with our livestock and pets, simply because they are wild.

Quote:
Quote:
You know, Kim, Id like to nominate you for moderator - youre a natural.

BTW how is the re-title Davaroo process going? DO we have a deadline?

If that is too confusing to understand, just refer to here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69154&p=3

For those just tuning in, if you haven't figured it out. We started an interesting discussion, but it was hijacking another thread.
roll.png

Enjoy!

-Kim

Quote:
You know, Kim, Id like to nominate you for moderator - youre a natural.

BTW how is the re-title Davaroo process going? DO we have a deadline?

No thank you. Too much drama and responsibility.
tongue.png

As for the re-titling. You have already been retitled. "Knows his limits"

-Kim

Quote:
Note the: "If it is Federally specie protected, call me first . . ."

Just about all birds fall under this. The only ones off hand that I can think of fairly harmless (except for possibly carrying diseases). House sparrows and starlings come to mind.

Caught the new thread just in time.

Last edited:
I noticed the "If it's Federally protected" part too.

Still interesting that "he would probably shoot it".

Then again, better him in trouble than you.

-Kim

Ah good I wanted to comment on one thing but not jump in on the other thread.

The keeping other territorial birds around does seem to work. I wondered why despite all the prairie falcons in this area I never saw many around the house and the great horned owl moved on after a few months. Someone has been feeding the birds on this land for probably the past 50years since the house was built. There is a huge population of blue jays, cardinals, crows, barn swallows, sparrows, and many songbirds. The week I was gone and they didn't get fed I saw a falcon fly over when I got home. Only time I've seen one within 300' of the house. This is basically a no fly zone for predatory birds because of the other birds that nest in the area.

Now I'm gonna get out my "woodworking for wildlife" book and build some more bird houses and swallow nests.

We have crows around - a family of big black shiny crows that nests here every year and raises their babies. Don't know exacly where their nest is, but I have a feeling it's back on my propery in the wooded area.

At any rate, we've never had any problems so far with hawks. I know there are owls around , but my runs are all covered too, and the girls put themselves to bed in their coops at night, so I'm sure that helps.

I've always heard crows will deter raptors, but have no idea how you would encourage them to come around - I have always thought they ate carrion? But my ignorance may be showing there...

You can encourage crows by leaving out eggs for them to eat. Some people even leave strips of meat.

I used eggs and it worked quite well. I would just put an egg on several fence posts and they would all be gone later in the day.

If you are going to invite crows, just remember that they do eat chicks and eggs. It is a part of their normal diet. Crows will also run other songbirds away, because of this. They naturally raid and devour other bird nests. So protect your young birds(chicks and ducklings) and make sure your chicken's nests are protected.

-Kim

I would much rather have hawks than crows. Crows come in gangs, are very loud, and fight with EVERY bird in the area.

I had hawks.
Now I have crows.

How can I invite the hawks back and rehome the crows??

Back
Top Bottom