1 duck?

chickaboo7

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Manahawkin NJ
I have a small flock of chickens ( 12 standards & 5 bantams) my daughter wants a duck for 4-H. Can we have 1 duck? Is there any special needs for a duck? I have heard they smell. What's the best kind for kids? We don't have a pond or a place to go swimming, just a baby pool for the dog.

I know that's a lot of ? but who better to ask than you!

Ducks are messier than chickens but to me they are so worth it. I raised a duck with my first batch of chickens and he did just fine
lau.gif
Well....he thought he was a chicken and my daughter called him a chiduck. Don't know if this helps you much so I sure hope someone else that knows more will respond to you soon. Good luck!

I had for a few months 1 duck living with my chickens, after the neighbors dog killed the rest of my ducks. She did fine by herself, but she did think, and kind of still does think she is a chicken.
roll.png

as was previously mentioned...you're likely to end up with a chickduck

one lone male might cause problems as they will try and mate with the chickens (and they can be pretty willful)

I use a kiddie pool for my ducks

The reason they "smell" is they make a big watery mess...so making arrangements to keep the water from messing up the bedding will keep the smell down

They require water deeper than their heads 24-7---or they might choke on their food

They don't sleep all night, so you have to have food and water in your coop.

Ducks do not go to roost on their own- so you'll have to "chase them" into the coop every night

They eat all the slugs that are too big for chickens to eat! This has been great for my yard!

They are comical and fun!

Sandra

Being that you've already got 17 chickens, a duck won't be much of a step up regarding chores and such. The problems along those lines come when little Cindy-Lou Slacker gets a pet duckie-wuckie for Easter. Soon the cute little fuzz ball becomes a factory for turning grain & grass into runny poop.

Perfectly delightful birds to have aroud the place though!

Regarding water, they do not need a pool or pond, but may appriciate one. Without one, a water dish they can dunk their bill into is a must though - and it will need to be refilled a few times a day.

-Frank

Personally I have 5 ducks, 1 blue swedish, 1 black swedish, 1 Khaki Campbell, and 2 black cayugas. I love them all. They do not sleep in the coop at night, BUT, they do sleep right next to it. Personally I believe the Khaki Campbells are the friendliest (I had two, but something got it the other night). Although I love my Blue Sweedish, they are just very large, they are friendly too though, but not like the Khakis.

Yes, they are very messy!!!!!!!!!!!! When they were babies we cleaned there brooder daily... the stink was terrible other wise... and you need to RAISE there water! (Put some boards or tree limbs underneath the waterer).
We do have a creek that my ducks go to... but they have recently prefered to stay home and take over the kids pool LOL.. I think that is where the other duck was taken from. Here is a picture of the pool with the ducks... be sure to clean the water DAILY!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Tes

DSC00029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom