13 weeks old Mallard outside over night?

arnaromarsson

In the Brooder
May 27, 2024
My 13 weeks old mallard duck has lately been showing signs of distress when she's in the pen over night. I made a 22sq.feet pen, where she has access to a tub of water to swim, she has grass, and dryfood and fresh water for drinking, plus a insulated sleeping quarters.

My question is; can I leave her outside over night, and then not protected from predators? will she take care of herself?

Is she by herself? You ask f she can Take care of herself? Well, that depends on the challenge. Is the pen entirely enclosed? If not, weasels, raccoons, snakes, hawks, owls, dogs, coyotes and possums can all get to her.

We are hoping she either flies away, or we can introduce her to an area with other ducks. Either way, we need to take steps towards rewilding her.

We are hoping she either flies away, or we can introduce her to an area with other ducks. Either way, we need to take steps towards rewilding her.
She was an egg you found? she may have come from a wild Mallard but she is now used to someone taking care of her and has no skills to survive on her own.

Last edited:
Contact your local DNR they should be able to hook you up with a wild life rehabber who would go about preparing her for life in the wild.

You mean outside of the pen and coop? She won't last long. This time of year you may find her a friend or 2 on craigslist or your state forum right here on byc
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/
It's sort of two in one, it has a closed area, as well as outdoors. We change the water every day.
IMG_2674.JPG

That’s nice. If it is completely predator proof leave the door open and let her decide if she wants to be In or out. I would imagine she’s lonely. Another reason a waterfowl rehabber would be good she would be around other Mallards her age and be part of a flock.

That’s nice. If it is completely predator proof leave the door open and let her decide if she wants to be In or out. I would imagine she’s lonely. Another reason a waterfowl rehabber would be good she would be around other Mallards her age and be part of a flock.
Thank you - so glad to be part of this community! I will take some steps with your advice in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom