4 day old chick- diarrhea? Please help, newbie here!

RootyBoots

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Massachusetts
please help, complete first time newbies here!
we are the proud new owners of 5 day old baby chicks.
We noticed some watery stool from one (?) of our new chicks. We have watched them and can’t seem to figure out which chick it is. They all seem to be acting ok. Eating medicated crumbles. They have plenty of fresh water.
The only change that I am aware of is that the room they are in had a big swing in temperature overnight. However, even with thechange of temp they are still out and about exploring their brooder.

Is this normal poop or should we be concerned??
475A8922-4F00-44C5-95DF-4BE22993FECF.jpeg

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

What heat source are you using in your brooder? The temp swing could be an issue, or not, depending on your set up and how big the swing was. Someone may just be drinking a lot of water. Check your temperature under your heat source with a thermometer. It should be 95 degrees in the warmest spot the first week, and drop by 5 degrees every week until you reach ambient temperature. They also need plenty of room to get out of the heat, that's how they regulate their body temp. If they are too warm or too cold it can cause problems. Check the vents on everybody to make sure you have no pasting going on. If they are all acting OK, I would just keep an eye on them. If anyone stops eating, drinking, running around, seems lethargic, then maybe something going on.

What heat source are you using in your brooder? The temp swing could be an issue, or not, depending on your set up and how big the swing was. Someone may just be drinking a lot of water. Check your temperature under your heat source with a thermometer. It should be 95 degrees in the warmest spot the first week, and drop by 5 degrees every week until you reach ambient temperature.

Thank you for replying!
I should have clarified that the temp swing was because a window in the room we have the brooder was left open last night. My guess is the room went from 70 down to 55 or so.

I am using a RentaCoop heat plate that I set at an angle. The lowest edge is about an inch and a half from the ground. I have a camera that can see under the heat plate and none of the chicks are at the low end, they seem to prefer somewhere in the middle. No chirping when they are under.
They do have plenty of space to get away from the heat and run around.

Back
Top Bottom