4 month old rooster with injured leg.

Laurlun20

Hatching
Jul 5, 2024
My Little guy was limping after an injury on the 13th of July. He seemed to be doing better hopping on his one leg all over the yard. I have had birds injure a leg before from jumping and get better in a few days. I really thought he was on the mend. Still eating and drinking heaps. Then the other morning I saw him in the coop and he could only scoot backwards. So I brought him in to let him rehab. He seemed to quit using his one good leg because his hurt leg was to weak to help him is my guess. Because of this, he had poop all over him. So I was giving him a bath and noticed a big abscess above his hock on his hurt leg. I am sure there is a reason, but not sure why he got an infection if it was just an injured tendon. We immediately did surgery on it and got out that giant gross puss waxy stuff that chickens get. Doctored him all up. That was about 7 days ago. I had injectable Chicken antibiotics on hand which we gave for 5 days along with an anti-inflammatory and baby aspirin. I made him a sling that holds him up to try and strengthen his legs. He is no longer just laying on his side, as his good leg can hold him in the sitting position. His good leg I can tell is nice and strong, the other one must be to sore to to stand 😞 He still seems to be in pain if you mess with it to much and is still very swollen. Besides his hurt leg, he is a chicken with a lot of life in him. He eats and drinks well and is actually gaining weight. I try and do some physical therapy so the muscle doesn’t atrophy when he is willing. I did not feel a break from day 1 of his injury, but that doesn’t mean something wasn’t cracked. The abscess is still gone, but hock is still very swollen. I do not want him to suffer. Is this something he will recover from. Do you think he will ever walk. I hate putting him down when he is full of life, but also do not want him to suffer. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I have googled and read until my eyes are blurry.

Attachments

• IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 7
Is the swollen hock hard and solid or have fluid in it and is it hotter than the other one? Just wondering why it's not going down. Perhaps putting an icepack on it might help?

You've sure done about everything I can imagine could be done for your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom