4 week old bunnies

Tanyel

Hatching
Apr 28, 2024
Hi all,

I have a slight dilemma. My rabbit it pregnant again after giving birth a month ago to kits. The kits are 31 days old and are healthy. I caught the mother biting at them today as she is pregnant. Do I separate them from the mother? I'm worried cause they are only 4 weeks and 3 days old. Please help...

I have a slight dilemma. My rabbit it pregnant again after giving birth a month ago to kits. The kits are 31 days old and are healthy. I caught the mother biting at them today as she is pregnant. Do I separate them from the mother? I'm worried cause they are only 4 weeks and 3 days old. Please help...
Yes, separate the kits from the mother.

Kits can be weaned as young as about 4 weeks of age.

In this case, I would worry about the mother hurting or killing them, and I think the risk of that is greater than the risks of early weaning.

In future, I would try to wait longer before letting the mother get pregnant again.

What are you feeding them right now? Do make sure the kits have plenty of food and water available.

Thank you for your response. I have done exactly that. I'm feeding them greens and junior pellets.

In regards to mother, we had the male rabbit castrated 2 weeks ago. Kept them separate from when she gave birth. So I'm assuming this must have happened on the day she gave birth 32 days ago..

Thank you for your response. I have done exactly that. I'm feeding them greens and junior pellets.
That sounds good!

I would make sure they have as many pellets as they want, for the bunnies because they no longer have access to their mother's milk, and for the mother because she is pregnant and has been nursing. (You may already be doing this, in which case I'm just repeating the obvious.)

In regards to mother, we had the male rabbit castrated 2 weeks ago. Kept them separate from when she gave birth. So I'm assuming this must have happened on the day she gave birth 32 days ago..
Yes, a doe can breed again as soon as she has finished giving birth, so that is probably when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom