Adapting the Irish diet... question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... one of the interesting aspects of history is the Irish diet before 1900. This would include the period before and after the potato famine. Basically the simplest diet for them and what most people did was a staple diet of dairy and potatoes. And that's it. That's what it was. They couldn't often get other things. That's not to say they didn't have them. But they had this idea that you could get complete nutrition from both dairy and potatoes together. They probably had a few things every now and then, but it wasn't a wealthy place, and we're talking about the common people.

So, ... if you can get complete nutrition of milk and potatoes (or milk products), this makes me wonder if you could do the same with eggs and potatoes? Or what you would have to add to eggs and potatoes to get full nutrition?

This is very similar to the idea that in Latin countries their full nutrition is based off beans and rices together.

What do you think?

Part of my interest in this, is that people don't have big enough yards anymore that they can have a cow. Cows are big too and eat a lot. Its just not something most people can do.

But they could do rabbits and chickens with potatoes. You can grow potatoes in small spaces; PROVIDED that you reseed the fertility with compost every year. And you can grow rabbits and chickens in small spaces. So it seems like... it would be interesting to see, what would you have to do or how close would you be to full nutrition off the combination of either rabbits and chickens (either of those 2) with potatoes?

I think this could help some of you also with ideas, as you are thinking about what to do and how to provide for yourself where the economy is dumping itself.

Thank you very much.

I don't believe people were healthy on that diet (milk and potatoes). Humans are omnivores and such a restrictive diet is neither balanced nor complete. I believe a balanced diet is what God gave us in the beginning: fruits, grains, vegetables, seeds and nuts. Later certain flesh meats were added.

in Latin countries their full nutrition is based off beans and rices together.
Legumes and grains together can provide a complete protein, but it is not a complete, balanced diet and that's not what these people eat. It may be the foundation of a meal, but it's not the whole meal. So you may have a taco: start with a corn tortilla, filled with beans, but yuck, that's not enough! You add lettuce or cabbage slaw, tomatoes, cheese, a salsa or pico de gallo, a squirt of lime, some crema. The vegetables make it delicious, palatable and nutritious. Corn and beans alone is a starvation diet.

I agree with you that we want more in our diet. Everyone wants that. But the purpose of this thread is... what if you can't go to the store and get all those things you used to get. That seems to be the direction the line of the curve is going.

Back
Top Bottom