Administration of Mareks vaccine

Creekchics

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2024
Hi! I am new to hatching chicks but have decided to vaccinate for Mareks myself. Now I find I have a 1,000 dose kit coming and it seems the instructions say to make it all. I only have 4 chicks, and three on the way. My question is has anyone developed a system to only dilute a portion. I thought using a sterile vile and preparing a smaller amount at proper ratio would work, so I could save the rest. Also I don't have an automatic dose administration system, I would have to use a regular hypodermic like those for diabetic injection.

Hi! I am new to hatching chicks but have decided to vaccinate for Mareks myself. Now I find I have a 1,000 dose kit coming and it seems the instructions say to make it all. I only have 4 chicks, and three on the way. My question is has anyone developed a system to only dilute a portion. I thought using a sterile vile and preparing a smaller amount at proper ratio would work, so I could save the rest. Also I don't have an automatic dose administration system, I would have to use a regular hypodermic like those for diabetic injection.

Well that makes sense that the small vial of virus is powder, darn I was hoping to split mine as well to not waste it, but my four babies are worth $25 a piece they will be pampered pets, but I wish they made smaller batches! My question is can I just use an insulin hypodermic?
This thread may answer most of your questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/meraks-vaccine-needle-gauge.1633842/#post-27898172

Back
Top Bottom