Adolescent rooster (black sex link)

chickpack2024

In the Brooder
May 30, 2024
We just started raising chickens in February. We have a current flock of 4 hens, 1 rooster, and only 1 hen laying. Everyone is 21 weeks.

So...we had a flock of 8 and we had 3 separate predator attacks. We now know we have hawks, owls and one fox incident. For this reason, I want these hens to have a rooster. (In case anyone is wondering we fortified the coop and havent had an attack in a few months). Both for protection and because he herds the chickens and keeps a sense of a safe flock.

Our black sex link rooster was sold as a barred rock and since he's so dark I assumed he was just a hen with big feet :). He's very big.

So....this week, he's been rushing me in the mornings. I open up the coop to let everyone free range while im working outdide and he tries to get big and in my face a bit. During the day he will forage next to me while i garden. No pecks.

He pecked the dog as the dog walked away from the coop (he's not supposed to be in the coop so I wasn't too upset with that). No skin broken.

In your experience, are these signs that he'll be more aggressive as he gets older or is it more adolescent behavior? I yell at him and push him away with my feet. For now that works.

If you don't care about holding him then you just need to make him respect you. Yes, biting/pecking/clawing is aggressive and hes not going to stop until you do the first part. That being said, since you want him to defend your girls he seems like a fighter so thats positive. Keep him in line while youre around or you'll be unhappy whenever you go out there.

Yeah, these are not good signs. And I would anticipate him getting worse not better. Do you have small children under the age of 6? More than likely he will try and flog them first, and they can take it in the face. So beware. If you don't, he may try the dog on, but eventually I think he will get worse with you too. I would not keep him.

However, you can still have a rooster. Contact 4-H groups, the extension office, poultry clubs and get a rooster that is so darn nice from an owner that would have culled him if he wasn't. Look for a rooster that was raised up in similar environments, and allowed to free range with similar predators that you have. He was smart enough to keep away from them. One that has been raised in a multi-generational flock understands chicken society, and will generally do well with your hens.

The problem with rotten roosters, is that they keep you from having a good rooster. There are good roosters out there. But your chance of raising one in a group of flock mates, the first time having chickens, and one who is already charging you, not so good.

Mrs K

Thanks for your responses. Since this post he's actually been quite a bit better, and I wonder if it's because I was going to the coop while one of the hens started laying. He was keeping guard I think. Now she's been laying for a week and he's a lot more chill.

I have teenagers, no young kids, so it's mostly just my comfort level.

Also as I decide how I want to raise chickens I think I'd rather the rooster respect than be held, so I just maintain authority with him. So far it works. I do appreciate though that it may be worth getting read of him and getting a new one if this behavior comes back.

Back
Top Bottom