Adopting an ADULT LGD tomorrow

RossAcres

Breeding to the APA and ABA Standard
Premium Feather Member
Feb 22, 2024
Tennessee
So if you have seen my posts about my predator issues, you'll know why I've decided to adopt a LGD. Her name is Cotton. Cotton is an 8 year old LGD that has been raised with birds her whole life. She has always lived outside and refuses to ride inside cars or go inthe house. She takes her job extremely seriously.
I wanted to ask, what can I do to help her adjust to her new home? Should I tie her up on a long lead for a little while? She'll be inside an electric wire fence. I'm going to be making a spot in the barn where she can sleep. I want to make sure I do everything I need to tonight before getting her tomorrow.

So if you have seen my posts about my predator issues, you'll know why I've decided to adopt a LGD. Her name is Cotton. Cotton is an 8 year old LGD that has been raised with birds her whole life. She has always lived outside and refuses to ride inside cars or go inthe house. She takes her job extremely seriously.
I wanted to ask, what can I do to help her adjust to her new home? Should I tie her up on a long lead for a little while? She'll be inside an electric wire fence. I'm going to be making a spot in the barn where she can sleep. I want to make sure I do everything I need to tonight before getting her tomorrow.
Be cautious when introducing her to your poultry, remember that even though she has lived with poultry her entire life she will now be in a completely different place, different animal, smells etc. If she's going to be in a fenced area you shouldn't need to tie her as she can't really leave.

A electric fence should be fine, just put some orange cones next to them so she can see its there. Offer food and water and a little bed and shelter for her (also make sure she cannot jump the fence)

Be cautious when introducing her to your poultry, remember that even though she has lived with poultry her entire life she will now be in a completely different place, different animal, smells etc. If she's going to be in a fenced area you shouldn't need to tie her as she can't really leave.
That's true. I was thinking a lead so that she can see the birds but cannot be phsyical with them.

About to go pick her up! Any advice when it comes to Great Pyranese? I've never had one before. I know the common issues, but what are some other things I need to know about them?

Back
Top Bottom