After Lash Egg

Asharpegg

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
One of our ladies laid a lash egg right in front of my husband. We took care of immediately making sure we kept everything sanitary. We have treated her with antibiotics. It’s been 5 days. Can I put her back with the flock now. Will she ever lay another egg? It’s okay if not, just don’t want to eat anything she’s laid after antibiotics.

One of our ladies laid a lash egg right in front of my husband. We took care of immediately making sure we kept everything sanitary. We have treated her with antibiotics. It’s been 5 days. Can I put her back with the flock now. Will she ever lay another egg? It’s okay if not, just don’t want to eat anything she’s laid after antibiotics.
A lash egg is not a communicable infectious material. It is the expelled infectious tissue from her oviduct. Other birds cannot get an oviduct infection from pecking around it. You cannot become infected.
If she was acting normally after she expelled it, she likely didn't need antibiotic and she also didn't need to be removed from the flock.

There is some Farad data on egg/meat withdrawal for some drugs. But I would eat any of her eggs that she laid after 2 weeks.

She may very well lay eggs again but it being late in the season and molts having started in the northern hemisphere, she may wait until spring.

A lash egg is not a communicable infectious material. It is the expelled infectious tissue from her oviduct. Other birds cannot get an oviduct infection from pecking around it. You cannot become infected.
If she was acting normally after she expelled it, she likely didn't need antibiotic and she also didn't need to be removed from the flock.

There is some Farad data on egg/meat withdrawal for some drugs. But I would eat any of her eggs that she laid after 2 weeks.

She may very well lay eggs again but it being late in the season and molts having started in the northern hemisphere, she may wait until spring.
Thank you,
We removed her because she was acting sickly. We didn’t want her to get picked on.
This is helpful response! Thanks again.

I love that you say this. I can't tell you how frustrating it was in the Facebook groups when nearly everyone would scream "OMG it is literally staph!! Wash and disinfect your hands, then disinfect the whole coop, nest boxes and run! Highly contagious!!" I had to leave those groups, just couldn't take it. Also another pet peeve (off topic) is "the egg is fertile but not fertilized" ugh.... too much.

Our barred rock was acting sickly and laid a lash egg when she was younger. We were new chicken parents and didn’t know what was going on. After reading about salpingitis, lash eggs, and fearing the worst, we came to terms with her probably never laying again. Well, after a few more days of acting sickly, she went through a partial molt, and started laying again about 2 months later. She’s been a faithful producer ever since! So your hen may yet lay again. For our girl, it did take some time for her to start back up though. There is always hope! Wishing the best for you and your hen! :hugs

Our barred rock was acting sickly and laid a lash egg when she was younger. We were new chicken parents and didn’t know what was going on. After reading about salpingitis, lash eggs, and fearing the worst, we came to terms with her probably never laying again. Well, after a few more days of acting sickly, she went through a partial molt, and started laying again about 2 months later. She’s been a faithful producer ever since! So your hen may yet lay again. For our girl, it did take some time for her to start back up though. There is always hope! Wishing the best for you and your hen! :hugs
Thank you! That gives me hope!

My barred rock just layed what I think may be small lash eggs tonight. Do you mind me asking what type of treatment you did when yours laid a lash egg? Did you use antibiotics or was she able to get through the ordeal on her own?

My barred rock just layed what I think may be small lash eggs tonight. Do you mind me asking what type of treatment you did when yours laid a lash egg? Did you use antibiotics or was she able to get through the ordeal on her own?
I wish I could be more help! We were very new owners at the time and did not really know what to make of it. We just watched her really closely, offered her scrambled eggs to make sure she was eating enough, and gave some electrolytes in her water. She fought through it all on her own, she was acting lethargic for a couple of days before she started acting more like herself again. Just keep an eye on her and see how she’s doing- if it gets worse antibiotics may be a good option but I wouldn’t be able to tell you which antibiotic would be most effective. From what I remember reading online about the causes of lash eggs there can be bacterial salpingitis and viral, so we think our hen must have had the viral kind and it just had to run its course. I’m sure there might some other causes as well.

I pray the best for your hen, and hope she makes a full recovery! Let us know how it goes :hugs

Back
Top Bottom