Air Cells

MadChickenMama

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
North Carolina
I had 3 of the 14 viable eggs under a broody hen for about 4 days. Yesterday she stopped being broody so I took the eggs, candled to check for movement, then placed them back in the incubator.

They had been candled on day 14 and air cells marked. At that time they were right on with the other 11 eggs. Yesterday, day 17, I candled all again and marked air cells. The 3 eggs that had been under the hen had barely changed in term of air cell getting bigger.

Is this going to be a problem come hatch time if the air cells aren't as big as they should be? I feel like at this rate they will be on day 17 for air cell progress when hatch time comes.

I keep the humidity in the incubator around 30%. I don't do completely dry as it does dip to 25% without water, so I add maybe a teaspoon or two of water whenever I see the humidty drop below 30%. That usually takes it up to about 35% and it's good for the day usually.

I think a day 17 air cell will be close enough. They draw down quite a bit after lock down too. I think they will be fine. Good luck!

Thanks! I just candled and saw some insane draw downs. All had nice air cells except #1 which still had a roughly day 14 air cell. I wrote HELP? on the shell so I can keep an eye on it just in case.

#18 pipped externally in the early morning hours! Was cheeping the entire time during candling. Didn't even know it was until I was halfway through and the pip was underneath.

Thanks! I just candled and saw some insane draw downs. All had nice air cells except #1 which still had a roughly day 14 air cell. I wrote HELP? on the shell so I can keep an eye on it just in case.

#18 pipped externally in the early morning hours! Was cheeping the entire time during candling. Didn't even know it was until I was halfway through and the pip was underneath.
Congrats in the pip! Any chicks yet?

Congrats in the pip! Any chicks yet?

Yup! One hatched out 2 hours after I found the external pip. And right now there's 3 rocking eggs and I hear cheeping but can't tell which egg it's coming from so there's at least one internal pip.

I made a towel duck to help keep the lone chick company. Made a little cave under it so the chick could get under when it wants.

20180609_194349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom