All-around Naturalist Thread

What do you like to observe and learn about?

• Total voters
Pics
Just found this thread, and I’m so glad I did! I looove animals, people who know me think I’m a crazy animal person :lol: . I especially love weird looking animals and animals with cool adaptations. I alternate favorites
a lot, but currently my favorite animal is a coati (Nasua). They’re mammals that are named for their long noses. They give birth in trees, babysit their friends’ babies, have double-jointed ankles, are super adaptable to different climates and altitudes, and the Mayans used to keep them as pets!

I am a birdwatcher, but I observe all other living things too (though I'm still a bit tentative about spiders)! Currently I'm in an insect craze!

I enjoy photography hiking, and being alone in nature.

One of my most embarrassing moments was when I was taking a picture of a bird in my neighbor's tree when a construction but working there came around the trees and saw me. I just turned and pretended to photograph the leaves near me. Not a repeat experience!

One of my coolest was when I find a little beetle stuck in some ice where he must have been overnight. He had a little air bubble near his head and was moving, so I cracked the ice and watched over him for a while. At first he moved super slowly (like slow motion!) but once he warmed up he went back to normal.

One of my favorites was when me and my friend were birding in a pond reserve, and we saw a Northern Pintail (a type of duck)! We both started hopping up and down and quietly screaming. The pintail was so graceful and remarkably big!

I participate in eBird, iNaturalist, and NestWatch.

View attachment 2572716
A pair of House Finches

View attachment 2572718
Unknown plant

View attachment 2572722
Some adorable type of stink bug!

View attachment 2572730
Black-capped Chickadee
Excellent pictures!

I am a bird watcher too.

Around me, I have lots of waterfowl and woodpeckers.
Same! I live near a bay, and there's lots of coots, ducks, herons, and geese. Right now a lot of the ducks and geese have babies, and it's so cute to see them following their moms (although the canadian geese try to bite you)

Back
Top Bottom