All Things Sourdough!

hensonmain

Chirping
Jun 18, 2024
:frow I'm new to BYC! I love my sweet chickens and baking all kinds of sourdough treats! In my mind sourdough and chickens go hand in hand - anyone else in the BYC community also addicted to sourdough in the same way as chickens? I'm always looking for more recipes or even helpful tips! Feel free to share any and all things sourdough; including anyways to use sourdough with the hens!

Hi, welcome to BYC! You might enjoy a thread called "Any Home Bakers Here?" Lots of sourdough bakers over there! A great group of folks, too. They'd be happy to have you. I haven't been over there much the last couple of weeks as my adult granddaughter recently got dx'd with non-Celiac gluten intolerance and I need to practice baking gluten-free ... and she's also got that alpha-gal tick-borne allergy that means she can't have any mammal products - like butter, cream, cheese, meat of course (except chicken and fish) and I'm learning whole new ways to cook! But give me time, I'll be back over there soon! :frow

Hi and welcome! I’m in agreement with you. For me it went chickens, gardening, and now sourdough! I am brand new to sourdough, I ordered my first dehydrated starter last week because I don’t know anyone who has a starter. Or rather I don’t leave the house enough to make contact with anyone who does :oops:

What are your favorite things to make with sourdough?

I’ll have to check out the other baking thread, too once I get started!

Go to the baking thread and ask @ronott1 for some starter. He'll send you some dried starter and instructions along with the history of the starter. He got most of the sourdough bakers over there, er .. started!
Oh my gosh! How kind! Now I really do gotta go over there! To be honest I was getting worried because I ordered this one and I was worried about what if it didn’t work out, then what would I do? Now I know what I’ll do! 😊 thank you!

Hi and welcome! I’m in agreement with you. For me it went chickens, gardening, and now sourdough! I am brand new to sourdough, I ordered my first dehydrated starter last week because I don’t know anyone who has a starter. Or rather I don’t leave the house enough to make contact with anyone who does :oops:

What are your favorite things to make with sourdough?

I’ll have to check out the other baking thread, too once I get started!
Haha yes that seems to be the pipeline!

My favorite sourdough recipes have been just a classic loaf and sourdough bagels! I get my bagel recipe from The Clever Carrot (https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2021/06/easy-homemade-sourdough-bagels/)

Hi, welcome to BYC! You might enjoy a thread called "Any Home Bakers Here?" Lots of sourdough bakers over there! A great group of folks, too. They'd be happy to have you. I haven't been over there much the last couple of weeks as my adult granddaughter recently got dx'd with non-Celiac gluten intolerance and I need to practice baking gluten-free ... and she's also got that alpha-gal tick-borne allergy that means she can't have any mammal products - like butter, cream, cheese, meat of course (except chicken and fish) and I'm learning whole new ways to cook! But give me time, I'll be back over there soon! :frow
I will have to check out that thread too!

That does sound like a whole new way of cooking! I would miss my dairy products so much

I will have to check out that thread too!

That does sound like a whole new way of cooking! I would miss my dairy products so much
We have found plant-based substitutes that work really well. A plant based butter tastes really good and I can cook with it. I've always cooked with butter and oil mixed, and this works perfectly well. We've found a plant-based creamer for her chicory hot drink (mine is barley based, she can't drink that); she likes oat milk and soy milk but has yet to try cashew milk which I think she will really like. She's using a plant-based cheese and I know there's plant-based sour cream out there but we have not found it locally yet. It can be done, just takes a little digging!

Back
Top Bottom