Am I doing it right?

Papa chick

Hatching
Aug 15, 2024
Day 3 of chicks. Temp running 93-95. Been giving Sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics and 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of filtered water for 2 days. Have cut it in half on day three. They are active and look good. One had a pasty butt but have cleaned it up. Am I doing it correctly?

Attachments

• 20240816_080519.jpg
    20240816_080519.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 23
Hi, welcome to the forum! Glad you joined!

Am I doing it correctly?
They are all alive and apparently healthy, so yes. You are doing it correctly.

Is that the way I'd do it? No. I don't automatically give electrolytes or vinegar. A lot of people do but I don't without a reason. A reason for electrolytes would be a weak or unhealthy chick. The only probiotics I give them is some dirt from the adults' run so the chicks can start to work on flock immunities (if any) and get whatever probiotics the adults have to pass on. My brooder is big enough that I keep one end warm but let the far end cool off quite a bit so they can get away from the heat of they need or want to while having a place to go warm up if they want or need to.

You probably got a lot of what you are doing from this forum. There are a lot of people that do most or all of what you are doing. My point is not that you are doing anything wrong but that there are typically a lot of different ways to do things that are all correct. And we all have different conditions. If you don't have adults you cannot give them dirt from the run the adults have been pooping in for example.

Good luck with them and once again, :frow

Best treatment for pasty butt is making sure the chicks have sufficient "cool" areas in the brooder to escape from heat when needed. If the hottest part is 95 then you want the other side to be at least 10F cooler, preferably more if at all possible (though that can be difficult with a small brooder).

Best treatment for pasty butt is making sure the chicks have sufficient "cool" areas in the brooder to escape from heat when needed. If the hottest part is 95 then you want the other side to be at least 10F cooler, preferably more if at all possible (though that can be difficult with a small brooder).
I've checked the temp at both ends and under the lamp is 95ish and the other side is 85ish. I believe that I only have one chick with it. That's why researched and found that ACV would help. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom