Anyone have domestic ducks on their pond?

andischickenfarm

Songster
12 Years
Jun 19, 2007
N.E. Oklahoma
I live out in the country and we have a huge pond out in the field with trees and stuff around it. My question is, will my ducks be ok on my pond or will something more and likely get them? I've raised them from ducklings and I want to keep them, but they are really messy and it makes my hen house stink! So what do you all think? They're only 8 weeks old right now so I wouldn't turn them out until they are 20 weeks old. That way they would be fully mature.

Andi

My neighbor bought about 20 ducks to put on his pond, he left them no shelter(He diodnt want to go outside and close them up at night) and he lost all 20 pretty fast. Since they cant fly away they will need to be shut up at night.

I have read that you can build like an island made out of waterproof wood and they can get in/on that at night. I would still like to find out more about it. Do you think something would get them if I put a nest box by the pond for them to get in at night?

A few towns over from me has a an island house for them, the only way to get to it is to swim, so the ducks seem pretty safe.

They need to be put inside something in order to be really safe, I dont suppose it matters what it is, just as long as nothing can get inside it.

Back
Top Bottom