ascites or something else?

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
I have a 2 year old speckled sussex with some abnormal symptoms, and wondered if anyone had any experience with water belly.
A few years ago I had a chicken with water belly who passed so every now and then i check my girls abdomens and crops at night. a few nights ago i noticed that one of my girls had a larger abdomen that felt similar to my past case of water belly, but she displayed no other symptoms. her crop seems to be emptying normally, her energy is good, if not a little slowed down, and her comb is normal. the water belly has been getting bigger over the past two days, but she has not gotten worse in any way, which feels unusual because my last case had a very steady decline.
i did notice that someone laid a shelless egg in the nesting box, so it might be internal laying, but i’m not entirely convinced that’s what’s going on. does anyone have any ideas about other causes to an enlarged abdomen?
(side note: i have been fighting a big rat problem these past few weeks if that helps at all)

her crop seems to be emptying normally, her energy is good, if not a little slowed down, and her comb is normal. the water belly has been getting bigger over the past two days, but she has not gotten worse in any way,
She's active, eating/drinking, crop is emptying, she's energetic.

I would not do anything unless she starts to decline.

Back
Top Bottom