Automatic coop doors: I'd love your input

I studied them for some time before I got a Ladies First. Install was easy, but I suspect that's true for most. When I tested the closing on an obstruction it worked great. Basically, when the door met resistance it raised, then lowered again. If the chicken,or hand, is still there it repeats the process. On the third try, if the obstruction is still there the door just stops. It's metal, but lightweight. I've seen demos where the door was blocked with an egg. The egg survived.
The first night I used it I had cockerel try to roost in the door. I knew something was wrong because the blinking green light to tell me all was well wasn't blinking. I found Stew roosting in the doorway, the door on his back but not pushing him down. He was fine. No harm, no fowl.
I haven't had it long but it's worked every time. I like the mechanics of it. The door is driven by a motor that turns a screw raising and lowering the door. It's also made in America. That was important to me. Price wise, I found some more expensive and some less (not counting the Chinese knockoffs). I think I made a good buy. Look on YouTube for some good demonstrations.
I was looking at Ladies First. In fact, the maker of the plans for the coup I'm building use Ladies First on their coop / plans. Thanks for your input.

I read this is an issue for many automatic doors. I put my door opening about a foot off the floor. The birds step up on a cinder block to get out of the coop. Of course, there's a ramp going down to the run. I haven't had any problems with stuff in the tracks, but it's only been in for a couple months.
Thanks for the tip..I wish i had thought of that..Mine has been installed for only a couple weeks.I find that it always closes eventually after 2-3 tries. I really don’t want to do the reinstall but i may have to when i return from vacation. My neighbor will be checking on them while i’m gone. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom