baby chicks dying, blood in beak/throat but no injuries. whats killing them?

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
I have a broody hen that hatched out 12 chicks.
every morning i go in their coop there is always one chick dead. we are now down to 7 chicks left.
this hen is all by herself with her chicks, she is a great mum and doesnt attack them. all chicks have been found dead in the morning, however are completely fine when i shut them in at night. i found lice on my hen 4 days ago and have treated her.
all chicks that have died have had no injuries but blood in their throat/beak (not pouring out i opened the beak and can see blood). one chick had some yolk coming out of her belly button but other than that nothing.
every chick that dies is always found in a corner rather than in the middle of the coop.
i observe these chicks for hours every day and none are showing any signs of illness.
the coop is kept very clean and i found no mites just some lice on mum.
i am taking her out the coop tonight and putting her in my outbuilding but i need to know what this could be that's killing them.
we are in the uk if that makes any difference.

I have a broody hen that hatched out 12 chicks.
every morning i go in their coop there is always one chick dead. we are now down to 7 chicks left.
this hen is all by herself with her chicks, she is a great mum and doesnt attack them. all chicks have been found dead in the morning, however are completely fine when i shut them in at night. i found lice on my hen 4 days ago and have treated her.
all chicks that have died have had no injuries but blood in their throat/beak (not pouring out i opened the beak and can see blood). one chick had some yolk coming out of her belly button but other than that nothing.
every chick that dies is always found in a corner rather than in the middle of the coop.
i observe these chicks for hours every day and none are showing any signs of illness.
the coop is kept very clean and i found no mites just some lice on mum.
i am taking her out the coop tonight and putting her in my outbuilding but i need to know what this could be that's killing them.
we are in the uk if that makes any difference.
How old are the chicks? If unfeathered, they will need a heat source if they don't have their momma to keep them warm...also, you could put a trail camera in the coop to see what is going on.

How old are the chicks? If unfeathered, they will need a heat source if they don't have their momma to keep them warm...also, you could put a trail camera in the coop to see what is going on.

they are in with their mum shes a lemon cuckoo oprington so plenty big enough.
i have very thoroughly checks all the dead chicks and found no lice.
i also dont understand how i only find 1 dead every morning.

they are in with their mum shes a lemon cuckoo oprington so plenty big enough.
i have very thoroughly checks all the dead chicks and found no lice.
i also dont understand how i only find 1 dead every morning.
I only meant how will the chicks be kept warm if you take the mother out at night. I am sure they are warm enough when she is with them. Please keep us informed about what you figure out.

I moved them all out together into a large plastic storage box. I have set a camera up in their coop to see if anything shows up.
No deaths this morning

Back
Top Bottom