Bald and bloated abdomen - best treatment?

JanvierUK

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 9, 2019
I have a Rhode Island Red, she's about three years old. Still laying fairly often. She has a large appetite, she eats so much on a regular basis that she has a slightly pendulous crop these days, and frequently gets diarrhoea. Last week I gave her a soak, to clean the poop-caked floof feathers - her abdomen now looks bloated and almost bald. It's not hard, just big. She's otherwise behaving as normal.

I put some vaseline on the dry skin, but other than that I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Attachments

• 20240722_193743.jpg
    20240722_193743.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240722_194321.jpg
    20240722_194321.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
What's her diet? Has she ever been wormed? Does she wear a crop bra for her crop issues?
Marriages layer pellets are always available in the run, and for two to three hours a day they are all out in the garden eating grass, leaves, flowers, whatever bugs they find. A handful of mixed corn to share between four most days. I worm them every six months with flubenvet, Verm-X monthly supplements in-between treatments. And I've not given her a bra, no.

I have a Rhode Island Red, she's about three years old. Still laying fairly often. She has a large appetite, she eats so much on a regular basis that she has a slightly pendulous crop these days, and frequently gets diarrhoea. Last week I gave her a soak, to clean the poop-caked floof feathers - her abdomen now looks bloated and almost bald. It's not hard, just big. She's otherwise behaving as normal.

I put some vaseline on the dry skin, but other than that I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Marriages layer pellets are always available in the run, and for two to three hours a day they are all out in the garden eating grass, leaves, flowers, whatever bugs they find. A handful of mixed corn to share between four most days. I worm them every six months with flubenvet, Verm-X monthly supplements in-between treatments. And I've not given her a bra, no.
I would address the crop issue according to the article linked below.

Do keep an eye on the area below the vent, the tissue looks to be picked at, probably from other hens and it also looks like she may have some soft tissue damage. I would be concerned about FlyStrike if flies lay eggs on the skin.

If you have NuStock cream, I would apply it to the exposed skin to help it heal and hopefully deter feather plucking.

Having a bloated abdomen isn't all that uncommon for a laying hen, since she's still laying, she may just have some extra fat there or she may be starting to show signs that she will have some issue with production in the future.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom