Black Soldier Flies Found My Bin

Kenya Mwangi

Songster
Feb 29, 2024
My location is in Texas.
Hello Yesterday I put pig feed in my Black Soldier Fly growing bin and got it all damp with water. Today I peeked in to see if house flies would fly out and just to see if anything found its way in. What I found was 6 dead Black Soldier Flys! They found the bin in 1 day. I think they are dead because it was in partial sun today and they couldn't get out and it was too hot. I hope they laid eggs first. I moved it into constant shade and will check for larvae daily. The is my first time so I don't know what to expect. But it is exciting now.
_20240630_194549.JPG

Hello My bin smelled sweet the first day. I added more water and the next morning it smelled like sour stale coffee or something not good.

Today I found the yellow BSF eggs and the white housefly eggs and some housefly larvae.

_20240703_193813.JPG

_20240703_193748.JPG

_20240703_193717.JPG

Hello Black Soldier Flys larvaes are going to be such an improvement in nutrition from this bagged feed I've been using. I am hoping to see a little movement in the feed soon. I check everyday. I see housefly larvae but no BSF larvae yet.

Hello I was going to look in my bin to see what is happeing, but I found a Soldier Fly on it laying eggs. If you zoom in under the white tube you can see the eggs.

edit: Hello I looked closer when the fly left, that is not eggs, it is a cedar tree dried leaf, but there are eggs behind it. In the second picture. Also, inside there is mold and maggots, but I didn't see any Soldier Fly Larvae yet.
_20240705_144518.JPG

_20240705_151142.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom