Black Swedish? Ducklings and other questions

TheQueenOfDucks

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2024
Hello! We just got some new ducklings, and are pretty sure they are Black Swedish. I was just wondering a few things that I can’t find online, His are they different from Blue Swedish, are they able to be showed, how tame will they be when grown, and do they do good on a pond? Thank you so much for the help! (Also here’s a couple photos of the suckers)

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    727.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 74135747869__0672E006-003B-43EA-BC48-1993C70FCEA6.jpeg
    74135747869__0672E006-003B-43EA-BC48-1993C70FCEA6.jpeg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 11
Oh wow, I thought they had white markings from the lighting 😂 Yes, they are Black Swedish!

- They’re a bit different, yes.
Blue Swedish do not breed true, meaning their offspring may or may not be Blue. They have a 25% chance to be Black, 50% for Blue, and 25% for Splash. Essentially, Black and Splash are variants of Blue. Black and Splash will, however, breed true. Here’s a chart showing all the combinations:
IMG_0504.png

- I can’t answer your showing question.
- Metzer Farms rates their Black Swedish as having a rather calm temperament.
- I think any duck will do great on a pond, but they’ll still require a coop at night, of course.

Oh wow, I thought they had white markings from the lighting 😂 Yes, they are Black Swedish!

- They’re a bit different, yes.
Blue Swedish do not breed true, meaning their offspring may or may not be Blue. They have a 25% chance to be Black, 50% for Blue, and 25% for Splash. Essentially, Black and Splash are variants of Blue. Black and Splash will, however, breed true. Here’s a chart showing all the combinations:
View attachment 3883053

- I can’t answer your showing question.
- Metzer Farms rates their Black Swedish as having a rather calm temperament.
- I think any duck will do great on a pond, but they’ll still require a coop at night, of course.
Ok, that’s quite interesting, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom