Bloated Hen!

My sister had an eggbound chicken...vet felt the eggs inside her.

Put her on antibiotics ( I believe the vet put her on batryl)and it took a long long time. She got better when she showed signs that she wasn't laying anymore and molted. Then, she started laying eggs again!!!! I think in my sister's case, the chicken's egg tract must have stretched funny, causing a pouch. When she "quit producing eggs", as with all chickens, the comb got smaller again and paled and during that process, their tract also shrinks. Then when she started to lay eggs again, it must have shrunk correctly. (does that make sense....not sure if I'm making myself clear or not)

Her chicken did "lay" some of those funky looking rubbery eggs which is a sign of either major reproductive illness or can be from being egg bound.

Having this situation in mind.....If I ever had a chicken that was egg bound...I'd put her on antibiotics and force molt (probably by keeping her in the dark for most of the day)to put her reproductive system into a halt and see if it got better once she finished molting and started laying eggs again. I have no clue if this would work...but It's a theory of mine.

I hope things work out....

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom