Breeding silkies

Oct 31, 2023
Glen rock Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I am thinking about breeding silkies,I have a list of questions

-What traits should I breed for?
-Do silkies have any things I should not breed for?
-What are some color crosses that are interesting or cute?
-Do they hatch better in an incubator or under a broody hen?
-Could I hatch turkeys in the incubator with them?

@Debbie292d
@NJClucker
@zooinmypocket
@Fluffy feet silkies
@bluebellblizzard

I am thinking about breeding silkies,I have a list of questions

-What traits should I breed for?
-Do silkies have any things I should not breed for?
-What are some color crosses that are interesting or cute?
-Do they hatch better in an incubator or under a broody hen?
-Could I hatch turkeys in the incubator with them?

@Debbie292d
@NJClucker
@zooinmypocket
@Fluffy feet silkies
@bluebellblizzard
You can't really just breed to get traits you don't have. For example, if you want vaulted and bearded, you need parents that have those attributes. If you're wanting the best, I would find someone who has shown in exhibitions and sells chicks, for example, Bobbi at Indioegg.us. But many breeders, such as myself, are a dime a dozen and produce high-quality silkies good for 4H'ers, etc.

You'll want to ensure your stock at the minimum:

- 5 toes
- black skin
- turquoise/blue earlobes
- walnut combs, never strait combs

I recently became interested in different variations of silkies. Some may or may not have been accepted into the APA yet, but I don't care about that as I don't show and they're beautiful. People want them, and so do I. These varieties are buffs, paints, cuckoo, and mottled. I think I have about everything I own posted here, but if you want to see a particular bird, just let me know or you can google it.

I used to let my hens hatch, but after the third time, I bought an incubator, and hubby built me a couple of nice brooders. Reason being, after about a month, they abandon their chicks in the yard while free-ranging, and head back to the coop to be broody again. If I have to raise their chicks for them, I may as well hatch them myself.

The APA or ABA standard will have descriptions of the traits you should be breeding toward as well as faults & disqualifications to avoid. As Debbie said, your best bet is to start with good quality stock rather than trying to "breed up" poor quality animals. Find a mentor who can give you advice and guidance.

There are several breeders working on "project colors" (not recognized varieties). Nothing wrong with that. Choose what appeals most to you.

Back
Top Bottom