Bringing chicks outside to other hens

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
I have 3 older hens in my backyard. We got 2 new baby chicks a few weeks ago who are now 5 weeks old. We are in Los Angeles so it’s pretty hot right now. I’m wondering when I can bring these new chicks outside. I worry that they aren’t getting enough space or sunlight since they are inside and I want them to have a lot more space out in the backyard. Our current set up is that we have a fence around the shaded part of the backyard and the chicken coop is a part of that fence. During the day, we open their coop so they can free range safely in their covered, fenced area and then they go into the coop to sleep at night and we lock it until the morning. I have so many questions about introducing my new chicks to my 3 hens (who are all very gentle ladies).

1. When can I put them in the coop with my other hens?
2. What is the process of introducing them to each other?
3. Is it too hot for the chicks to be outside? The temperature lows at night are around 60-67 degrees and highs during the day can be anywhere from 85-100 degrees. I’m sure it’s cooler than this in the shaded area that my hens actually live but it’s still very hot.
4. Should I be putting the chicks outside now in their cage to get accustomed to the weather now or should I keep them inside?
5. When can the chicks start eating layer feed like my other hens? Or do I need to somehow separate their foods? I feel like my older hens might eat their crumble food.
6. Do I have to put out grit for the chicks when they go outside or can I just trust that they will find natural grit in my yard like my older hens seem to do?
IMG_0351.jpeg

That's a lot of worrying. I can't answer all of the questions, but I can answer a few of them, but I'm curious if any of your eggs came from the chickens you already have? It makes a little difference in how the current ladies will handle them.
Generally, I start putting them out during the day at about six weeks, but I still bring them in at night until they're big enough to not get through the fence. When I first bring them out, I leave them in the brooding bin for the first few days so the other chickens can get used to their scent. If the chicks belong to one of your current ladies, you can put them under their mom if she's still brooding to see if she will take care of them herself.
See above. Let them get used to the scent at first before putting them in range of each other. If you don't want to do this process then I would wait until they're at least 8 weeks before putting them all together so they can defend themselves.
3. Is it too hot for the chicks to be outside? The temperature lows at night are around 60-67 degrees and highs during the day can be anywhere from 85-100 degrees. I’m sure it’s cooler than this in the shaded area that my hens actually live but it’s still very hot.
During the day the temp is fine but at night that might be a little on the cool side so I would still put them in the brooder at night for a little while.
4. Should I be putting the chicks outside now in their cage to get accustomed to the weather now or should I keep them inside?
That I think I answered that in the first question. Again, segregate them at first in a cage or bin until they all get used to each other. If you're keeping your brooder warm enough, the day time temp should be okay.
5. When can the chicks start eating layer feed like my other hens? Or do I need to somehow separate their foods? I feel like my older hens might eat their crumble food.
I think I started giving my chicks pellets around 3 months. Generally, if we have new chicks in the pen we switch to all granules until all the ladies are old enough to eat pellets, because yes, your older ladies will eat the granules and they will get to it first. It's called the pecking order for a reason.
6. Do I have to put out grit for the chicks when they go outside or can I just trust that they will find natural grit in my yard like my older hens seem to do?
Let them learn naturally and from watching the other chickens. If you notice a problem, then react to it, but try to let them figure it out at first so they don't become pets, unless you want them to be pets, because that's a different story, lol.

Good luck, and you've got some cute looking chicks!

I do a gradual introduction. I keep a fence between the adults and pullets until they are comfortable with each other.

I wouldn't put them out at night until fully feathered. If you still have them on a heat lamp gradually move it a little farther from them so they can adapt. They are growing so I leave mine on grower feed until closer to when they might start laying. 5 or 6 months.

I currently have some 3 month olds living next to the big girls. They mingle in the yard but sleep separate. I've seen the big girls sampling the grower crumble but they don't eat it all and the 3mo olds have sampled layer pellets but prefer their crumble.

When you do combine them make sure there are some places for the younger ones to get away from the big girls if and when they get picked on. None of the littles should end up beaten or bloody.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't put chicks in a coop until after they're integrated in the run, unless you have a way of safely sectioning off a portion of the coop for the chicks.
See but no touch is the standard recommendation. There's a hundred and one articles and threads on how to approach it but this is mine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
Heat is a concern which is why ⬇️...
Yes but I would not use the cage shown however. They need something larger and somewhere that provides deep shade and protection from the climate and strong winds.
Always feed everyone whatever the youngest birds eat. Calcium should be provided on the side.
Do you have natural grit that's readily accessible in the exact location the younger birds are penned, that is the proper size? If yes, then you don't need to. If no or unsure, grit is super cheap and good insurance against crop and digestive problems.

Back
Top Bottom