Broken leg?? Need advice/suggestions

dirtroaddarlin

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
Can anyone help me with what’s wrong with this buff? Just got it two days ago. Doesn’t want to put weight on its right foot. Keeps its head and wings down and sleeps most of the time. It looks like the right leg might be more swollen and red than the left? I helped her drink and tried to help her eat. Don’t have a good feeling about this one 😕
Any and all advice is appreciated. The bad leg is the one circled in the pictures.

ETA - I can’t figure out how to post a video but the chick is able to move it’s bad leg a little, but it doesn’t want to. and it also doesn’t want to eat 😕

Attachments

• 9806F060-EB98-4A06-A957-873F8E993AFB.jpeg
    9806F060-EB98-4A06-A957-873F8E993AFB.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 446E6CB6-1FF8-4D27-B712-5797171FDAD2.jpeg
    446E6CB6-1FF8-4D27-B712-5797171FDAD2.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry about your chick.
Are the legs a different color from each other too?
Likely not broken, but could be slipped tendon? A lot of times it's hard to know with tiny chicks.
If you have video, upload it to youtube and provide a link so we can view it.

I would get some B-Complex vitamins and give her 1/4 tablet daily for a week to help with leg health.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Thank you 😕
Yes, the legs are different colors. The good leg (left leg), is normal color. It’s a light orange. The bad leg (right leg), is darker colored. It’s more of a reddish/orange.
I’ve uploaded two videos to YouTube.

Here’s the first

And the second

This chick CAN move the bad leg, it just doesn’t want to.

Thank you 😕
Yes, the legs are different colors. The good leg (left leg), is normal color. It’s a light orange. The bad leg (right leg), is darker colored. It’s more of a reddish/orange.
I’ve uploaded two videos to YouTube.

Here’s the first

And the second

This chick CAN move the bad leg, it just doesn’t want to.
This is the exact thing going on with one of my babies! What is the update on yours?

This is the exact thing going on with one of my babies! What is the update on yours?

Mine passed away that night. I’m not sure what was wrong other than a birth defect or an infection internally. Orschelns guarantees their chicks for a week. I got a replacement because it passed away after 2 days. I also came home with 3 bantams too 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Mine passed away that night. I’m not sure what was wrong other than a birth defect or an infection internally. Orschelns guarantees their chicks for a week. I got a replacement because it passed away after 2 days. I also came home with 3 bantams too 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
I am so sorry! I’m guessing our chicks did not have the same thing. After some advice to soak her foot in baking soda and water and covering in Vaseline she started using the leg!

Back
Top Bottom