Lethargic!! Barnevelder - listless, pale comb, won’t eat!

chickieBok

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
CT, USA
Our barnevelder is our first girl to go broody about 2-3 weeks ago. She’s around 18 months old and was growling and taking food from my hand up until a few days ago when I got too sick to climb into the coop for a few days to hand feed her.
Last night she was in her nest, seemingly her normal broody self.

This morning I came into the coop and she was out of her nest, swaying in a corner with an almost white comb (it’s been pale but this is the worst). She made a few weak chirps to me but hasn’t made noise in the hour + that ive been out here since.

She didn’t take treats from my hand, so I got the syringe and gave her some electrolyte water to hopefully perk her up (I followed the proper oral administration as described in the relevant forum on this site). She’s usually very feisty but isn’t running from me or anything- still tried to shake off the syringe though.

I’ve put her in an epsom salt bath after checking her vent because it looked stressed to me like she may not be pooping. She tried to drink the epsom salt water so I kept the cup of electrolyte water in from of her and she’s taken a few huge, whole-head gulps.

I’m worried because up until now she’s been still growling and active even in the nest but now will not take food. What else can I do for her?

Any advice appreciated, I’m very worried that she is wasting away. If you have questions please don’t hesitate!

EDITED TO ADD PHOTO OF VENT AFTER 2nd BATH. She seems to be straining a little once in a while but otherwise is standing still with eyes closed.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Her comb seems to have gotten back a little bit of color since I found her, but not much.
View attachment 3872647
Our barnevelder is our first girl to go broody about 2-3 weeks ago. She’s around 18 months old and was growling and taking food from my hand up until a few days ago when I got too sick to climb into the coop for a few days to hand feed her.

This morning I came into the coop and she was out of her nest, swaying in a corner with an almost white comb (it’s been pale but this is the worst). She made a few weak chirps to me but hasn’t made noise in the hour + that ive been out here since.

She didn’t take treats from my hand, so I got the syringe and gave her some electrolyte water to hopefully perk her up (I followed the proper oral administration as described in the relevant forum on this site). She’s usually very feisty but isn’t running from me or anything- still tried to shake off the syringe though.

I’ve put her in an epsom salt bath after checking her vent because it looked stressed to me like she may not be pooping. She tried to drink the epsom salt water so I kept the cup of electrolyte water in from of her and she’s taken a few huge, whole-head gulps.

I’m worried because up until now she’s been still growling and active even in the nest but now will not take food. What else can I do for her?

Any advice appreciated, I’m very worried that she is wasting away. If you have questions please don’t hesitate!

Her comb seems to have gotten back a little bit of color since I found her, but not much.
View attachment 3872647

EDITED TO ADD PHOTO OF VENT AFTER 2nd BATH. She seems to be straining a little once in a while but otherwise is standing still with eyes closed.
Moved her to the infirmary so I can
monitor more closely, have placed small bits of frozen coconut oil in her beak. She is completely lethargic now.

Hoping someone replies with some reassurance on what to do next to save her ♡

How awful, I am very sorry you lost her :hugs

This seems to be the first time for you taking care of a broody?

Did she have any eggs at all or was she brooding an empty nest?

Did she leave the nest to take dust baths, eat and drink and defecate at least every other day?

Did you check her and her nest every other day for poultry mites? They can suck the life out of a broody in no time.

Back
Top Bottom