Broody hen won’t move off chicks

WELL I GOT ANSWERS!!! Had a bad rain storm coming and Lacey and the chick were pretty well in the open and had both escaped the enclosure I had them in. So I had to do something. Re set up the coop for babies. Caught the chick, caught Lacey, moved them both into the coop with the other three I hatched eggs. So chick is alive and well and we have one/four hatched. Hoping the others aren’t duds… does the mother know if they are duds?
Aw good. I’m glad the little ones alive.
I’m not too sure. I think so since she wouldn’t hear chirping. Have they pipped? Do you hear or feel movement?

What day are they on? Because usually you’d give chicks till about day 24. So if they’ve past that you can give them a candle if you want to or you can just wait for the mom to leave the nest

What day are they on? Because usually you’d give chicks till about day 24. So if they’ve past that you can give them a candle if you want to or you can just wait for the mom to leave the nest
Mom left the nest. I’m going to candle them when I get home. I don’t know what day. Heat lamp for another day or two if they look viable. Lacey disappeared one day then we found her nestled in the back of a work bench shelf and she was sitting on a nest made of tyvek and Barclamps. So I’ve gotten another issue… I’ve made Lacey and her chick two enclosures. They’ve escaped both and on both occasions rejoined the flock… including the pullets, turkey and Guineas. They all seem to not care about the chicks presence and the baby stays close to mom… how much danger of canabalism is she really? I’ve got a large watered and two good sized feeders plus I give them mealworms every morning

Mom left the nest. I’m going to candle them when I get home. I don’t know what day. Heat lamp for another day or two if they look viable. Lacey disappeared one day then we found her nestled in the back of a work bench shelf and she was sitting on a nest made of tyvek and Barclamps. So I’ve gotten another issue… I’ve made Lacey and her chick two enclosures. They’ve escaped both and on both occasions rejoined the flock… including the pullets, turkey and Guineas. They all seem to not care about the chicks presence and the baby stays close to mom… how much danger of canabalism is she really? I’ve got a large watered and two good sized feeders plus I give them mealworms every morning
Good plan.
If you haven’t seen any signs of aggression then they should be fine mom should protect her baby. But I don’t know your flock so you’ll have to observe and do what you think is fit. It seems like Lacey wants to be with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom