Broody Turkey hen to hot!

Pearlescent

Chirping
Apr 17, 2024
It’s hot here, never below 60F even in the night, my hen is broody and she won’t leave the coop often. She pants a lot, and is definitely overheating. Is there anyway to cool her down without messing up her brooding? Her eggs are due to hatch in 5 days. I have a game cam set up and it tells me the temp and stuff.

pictures form the cam:

Attachments

• IMG_9994.jpeg
    IMG_9994.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9995.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2
If you have an extension cord and a fan maybe you could position it to give her a cross breeze.

If you have an extension cord and a fan maybe you could position it to give her a cross breeze.
If she was the only one using the coop I would, but my 2 chickens and the Tom also go in, and anywhere a fan could be put would either prevent the chickens from getting to their nesting box, or stop her from getting out of her nest.

If she was the only one using the coop I would, but my 2 chickens and the Tom also go in, and anywhere a fan could be put would either prevent the chickens from getting to their nesting box, or stop her from getting out of her nest.
Oh, I was thinking even on the other side of the fence outside the coop/ run where there’s mesh fence the air could pass through. I don’t know your set up though, if it’s not gonna fit anywhere then it won’t work.

I did see the temps were upper 80’s on the trail cam photos. I don’t think that’s lethal heat to turkeys. I’d say offer her water, but it may interfere with her nest and leaving water around could bring rodents who want to drink or mess with eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/too-hot-for-turkeys.408328/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom