Building a large chicken nesting box array, and some questions.

haan

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of building 30 nesting boxes. We plan to have about 100 or so chickens in the long run, although we will start out small with only around 30 in the beginning. I've made a rough design:

chicken nest plan.png

The dimensions for each box should be 32.8cm(12 15/16") wide, 33.5cm high(13 3/16") and 39cm(15 3/8") deep. I've already partially completed one of the outer side walls to give you an idea:

outer_side_wall.jpg

I'm mainly using "reject" planks that have various imperfections but there are enough consistent lengths to use. They are roughly 2.2cm(7/8") b 7.6cm(3"). The floor for each box will be ply wood or some other flat surface, not planks like the walls. Part of the design is to have the floor for each box removable so it would be easier to clean, there is no real reason to fix them down anyway. Not included in the design are also plans for ramps to the second and third levels, but from what I've researched this might not be necessary.

I have some general questions before I proceed:

In the design I've included ledges for the chickens to access the nesting boxes, but I've seen many designs without them. The designs I've seen with them also mostly seem to be poles, although I'm concerned that poles would encourage them to roost, while I'm hoping flat walking boards might deter them from roosting in front of the nests, but I'm just guessing at this. Alternatively very thin poles could be used to assist the chickens getting into the nests, the idea being if they are thinner than normal roosting poles they might be too uncomfortable and so they would prefer to use the proper roosting poles, but they are still good enough to get inside. Since I want to cut some of the joining boards to extend out to support these platforms or poles I can't really proceed with those until I know if it would be a good or bad idea.

As for the height of the poles/ledges, I think I recall some saying they should be slightly lower than the nest, about an inch or so? Or is this not really that important?

Some more random pictures of the construction site and progress for those interested:

before.jpg

construction_in_progress.jpg

workstation.jpg

Good idea, hard for them to land in the nest flying up without a landing perch.
I forgot to add that I plan to add ramps for them so that they can walk up on the ledges.

My main question is concerning flat ledges they can walk on vs poles they have to fly up to access but can't walk on. My hypothesis is that their instincts leads them to choose branch-like things for roosting, so flat surfaces will discourage that.

It is, they will roost on anything higher than the roost you want them to roost on.

Why don't you have two rows of nests to start with and see if they isn't enough. They won't have trouble getting into the higher nests, they'll just hop up there.

You will see how they manage and when you get 100 laying hens you can see if you really need more nest boxes. If you are concerned about cleaning, you can put a basket of sorts into each box and just take the box out to clean.

Why don't you have two rows of nests to start with and see if they isn't enough.
I thought about that but I'm actually just a volunteer/part-time worker on the farm building according to the owner's instructions. I've also cut most of the planks to size already for a height of three boxes, and for technical reasons the sturdiness of the design is better supported with three rather than two levels.
If you are concerned about cleaning, you can put a basket of sorts into each box and just take the box out to clean.
That is my plan already, the baskets will be removable. The planks on the sides of each wall will also serve to as drawer-like ledges to support the baskets.

I should have some photos to show progress today, it is taking more time than expected to cut and work these planks in to playing along nicely(they are all slightly ununiform), I wish I could have used plywood instead 😅

^^ I use plastic dish pans or cat litter pans. They need to be washable and have a lip in case of broken eggs.
That would be ideal but I doubt the owner will buy those. I'm basically working with scrap material, there is some sturdy plastic I can maybe use from an old water tank but it might not be ideal and wont have lips, unless I can figure out a way to make them. Otherwise I can maybe coat the wood with something like a kind of varnish(safe for chickens?) or wrap/glue on some sheet/tarp plastic that's lying around.

But I'll worry about that once the main frame is done.

Back
Top Bottom