Bullying

Michaelamarie

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Klamath Falls, OR
I have 3 hens that are bullies. My other newer hens run away from them and are fine but I have one who lays down instantly when she sees them coming and lets them peck her repeatedly. She doesn’t even try to get away. I put a saddle on her today because her back feathers are gone. Any advice? They all free range.
IMG_9818.jpeg

You need to figure out who your boss hen is and separate her from the flock for a few days. It will knock her down in the pecking order. How long an introduction period did you give them?
she is one of 3 chicks my other hen hatched and raised with the flock. They’ve always all been together. I have 2 bosses they are act identical. Should I separate them? And how?

I know my advice may not work for your dynamic, don't know, but at times it's easiest to rehome the bully. Or the bully starter. We had three Buff Orpingtons who started bullying our others- ones they were raised with and as soon as I removed them to a wire dog crate outside the run, an instant calm settled over the flock.

But to separate, I'd say a wire dog crate or something similar,but I've read you don't want them near or to see the flock if you are wanting to reset hierarchy.

Check out this thread and super interesting suggestion from Azygous (I consider to be a top chicken expert,) regarding Tryptophan. When I read it, I thought I'd for sure try this in the event I had a bully issue. I would indeed separate the poor dear with missing feathers as that is about to turn bloody. She needs to recover. I also agree with Azygous that I don't like peepers....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bully-hen.1628869/

Back
Top Bottom