Bummble foot?

FinnEllaMom

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
Yesterday I noticed that one of my girls was doing a lot of sitting. She didn't seem right. After examing her and giving her a epsom salt bath. I put her in quarantine. She isn't egg bound. She's been pooping and laid an egg this morning. Here are pictures of the bottom of her feet. The dark spots are mostly on her toes. I was able to pick what appears to be a scab off her foot. Any help would be appreciated. She is out walking around.
1000011867.jpg
1000011872.jpg
1000011869.jpg
1000011870.jpg

Looks like she has a wound at the top of her middle toe. Bumblefoot is not the wound itself but the infection. Signs of infection are redness, swelling, lameness, heat and the typical bumble scab that can be lifted out. It can also present as stringy caseous stuff.

Try to remove as much of the scab as you can without making her bleed. Flush with saline. You can pack the wound with sugar and drop some iodine in there, or use neosporin or vetericyn, medicinal honey, epsom poultice, PRID salve etc. and then cover the wound with gauze and wrap with vetwrap. Start at the tip of the toe and go down and wrap around the foot to hold it in place. Don’t be too loose or it will come off, don’t make it too tight or it will cut off circulation.

Looks like she has a wound at the top of her middle toe. Bumblefoot is not the wound itself but the infection. Signs of infection are redness, swelling, lameness, heat and the typical bumble scab that can be lifted out. It can also present as stringy caseous stuff.

Try to remove as much of the scab as you can without making her bleed. Flush with saline. You can pack the wound with sugar and drop some iodine in there, or use neosporin or vetericyn, medicinal honey, epsom poultice, PRID salve etc. and then cover the wound with gauze and wrap with vetwrap. Start at the tip of the toe and go down and wrap around the foot to hold it in place. Don’t be too loose or it will come off, don’t make it too tight or it will cut off circulation.
Thank you so much! I soaked her feet again today. And attempted to get more of the scab off. She was very active and it didn't appear to be affecting her.
Any idea about those black spots? I have another Wyandotte and her feet don't have that pigmentation. Thank you!!!

Thank you so much! I soaked her feet again today. And attempted to get more of the scab off. She was very active and it didn't appear to be affecting her.
Any idea about those black spots? I have another Wyandotte and her feet don't have that pigmentation. Thank you!!!

Oh that’s good if she’s moving around. If the wound isn’t too raw and the ground she is on is dry, you could leave it unwrapped.

I think the pigmentation is just that… pigmentation… a bunch of my hens have it. Particularly ones with dark feathers and dark leg scales. I wouldn’t think much about it.

Oh that’s good if she’s moving around. If the wound isn’t too raw and the ground she is on is dry, you could leave it unwrapped.

I think the pigmentation is just that… pigmentation… a bunch of my hens have it. Particularly ones with dark feathers and dark leg scales. I wouldn’t think much about it.
Thank you so much! She's a Blue Wyandotte. I really appreciate the information. It puts my mind at ease. 😁

Back
Top Bottom