Calling All Duck Gene Experts / Enthusiasts!

KathiQuacks

🦙🦆🫏🐕🐎🪿🦜
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2022
Central TX
I made a post 2 days ago about some ducks / geese I saw at a local lake. One duck in particular has been on my mind since for how handsome he was!! He’s the only one I couldn’t identify. I am extremely curious to what genes he could possibly have to look this way.

He’s completely brown, yet has the pattern of a Mallard. Dark brown head, secondary wing feathers, and tail, all where you might expect to see green / blue / black. He has a thick, white half-ring on his neck. Brown body with dark brown and white speckling, mainly on his back. Light brown butt. He has a greenish-grey bill with orange feet. Here’s two photos of him.
IMG_0553.jpeg

IMG_0556.jpeg

If @Pyxis or @cheezenkwackers or anyone else would like to have a go at determining the genes / coloration of this boy, that would be amazing! Even just a general idea would be great.

I believe he is a brown dusky drake, probably a Khaki Campbell, in eclipse plumage. White on the throat is common with dusky and considered a flaw/poor breeding. This is my brown dusky Hookbill drake right now in partial eclipse and a few months ago in breeding plumage.
F48B83BF-F78B-434F-9DF4-BFBF382DB246.jpeg

4E09CE90-8716-4C42-9354-2A242FC0523C.jpeg

I believe he is a brown dusky drake, probably a Khaki Campbell, in eclipse plumage. White on the throat is common with dusky and considered a flaw/poor breeding. This is my brown dusky Hookbill drake right now in partial eclipse and a few months ago in breeding plumage.View attachment 3886534
View attachment 3886536
Wow, I considered Khaki but thought, “no way he’d look like this!”

Eclipse plumage makes sense for his body.. Is the brown head part of the eclipse, though?? It looks like his nuptial plumage. Is that a thing in Khakis??

Back
Top Bottom