ANOTHER Question On Grit!

Yoko

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
SanDiego,California
I would like to know where you could buy some chick grit,b/c i dont think i can find any no-cal parakeet grit
hu.gif

OH!i almost forgot!If I was giving my chicks grit and later on,i wanted to give them oyster shells instead,would that be ok to do that?or how would that whole concept work
IM SO CONFUSED!!PLEASE HELP!!
tongue.png
fl.gif

Where in SD are you located?
I get almost all of my chicken feed from JC Feed in Lakeside. Wonderful and helpful people and their assortement of products is just amazing. In addition: they will get you anything they do not have on stock....

Hi Yoko!
Grit and oyster shell serve two different purposes. Grit is to help them grind up their feed and oyster shell is to provide much needed calcium for laying hens. You won't need to give them the oyster shell until they are of laying age.
If your chickens are confined to a coop and run, you'll want to provide both.
My chickens free-range and find plenty of grit on their own, so I only provide oyster shell.

um...i dont have chicks yet....
im preparing for them tho!
and i live in valley canter,or escondido should i say...idk if hawthorne feed has any,i didnt see any,so i need to figure out a place a can get some,even if its online!
thumbsup.gif

ty for the info gritstar,that was helpful

I just got a dozen of chicks and give them a bit of sand for grit. I read somewhere it is ok

Actually, if you feed a commercial chick starter, you won't need any additional grit. In fact, grit is not absolutely necessary for chickens, unless they are eating a diet of really, really hard whole grains. Oyster shell is also not necessary unless the chickens are laying eggs at a high rate.

However, the birds will welcome grit/sand, and it's great to feed it in limited amounts. Too much will actually interfere with their digestion to some extent. If they actually do eat too much for a short time, their growth rate will slow a bit. They will eliminate the excess in their droppings eventually.

Back
Top Bottom