Can I Can I???

whistlin dixie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
I have baby chicks downstairs I think they are about 2 weeks, they are still all fuzzy but the they are getting feathers on the wings and small tail feathers. My question is I am dying to give them a treat, something new besides the starter, I want to get them excited to see me, is it too early? If not, what can I give them and do I have to buy grit first?

I've found that even if I offer my chicks starter in my hand they are just as interested and excited as when I offer them treats. My chicks love rolled oats, and I offer them once a day or when I have to handle them for a long time.

If you offer anything besides chick starter they will need grit.

I'd suggest a handful of their regular feed, and holding off on any fancy treats for a little while longer. Have fun with them!
smile.png

I've given our two week old chicks boiled eggs. At first they didn't know what to do, but boy, when they found out....it was hysterical to watch them. And they do get excited when I call to them now... When I was a kid, I never remember buying feed for our chicken. It was an rescue chick, but it survived what ever we did feed her!! I just think, if they were raised with their momma, they'd be eating alot of different things outside. Just don't overdue!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom