Can you mix chicks of different ages?

mamasnowwolf

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
We purchased 8 chicks on May 17th from a local feed store ( Australorp and Wyandottes). We placed them in the coop, moms accepted them. Everyone happy. Last week on June 14th, we purchased 4 more chicks (cinnamon queens) to put under a different broody hen. She did not accept them so they went back in the basement until today where we gave them their own little space in the coop. They are completely fenced in, have a heater and a "cave" to stay warm. Big birds want nothing to do with them. So right now, they are happy to be out of the small dog kennel. I would really like to mix these chicks so I can raise them together. There's about a month difference, and I'm worried about the older picking on the younger.
We only have 5 Australorp and Wyandottes left due to the fact they kept escaping the run. 2 got eaten, 1 injured. They are now in a small tractor that uses hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Try as they might, they just can't get out.

No, not a month difference. The bigs would be too hard on the littles. But you should try to raise them next to each other so they know they all belong together. When they reach the same size after ten weeks of age, then try putting them together for progressively longer periods.

Back
Top Bottom