Canadian Winters & Run Design

DanYELL17

Hatching
Aug 8, 2024
Hi đź‘‹

This is my first Canadian winter owning chickens. I’m trying to determine what bedding to use in the run as temperatures can get to as low as -30 Celsius. I was thinking of using all purpose or construction sand mixed with some DE sprinkled on top (and raked in) and then wrapping the run with a vapor barrier for when frost hits to help with the freezing aspect of sand. I know coconut litter is better but I don’t think I can afford that because I have access to a lot of construction or all purpose sand near me. What are your thoughts / suggestions for those in similar weather situations and zones?
Thanks!

I live near Ottawa, my sixth year with chickens. Average winter temperatures -15C, short periods below -30C.

Sand can work in locations that are hot and dry.

If you have not, research "deep litter method" (DLM). Run base is coarse mulch with organic materials (leaves, needles, grass, etc) added generously throughout the Spring-Fall period. This combination allows waste to decompose and "disappear"; other than add organics no maintenance required, my run is in it's sixth year.

For predator control & winter accessibility I chose to cover my run with a steel roof and fully enclose with 1/2" hardware cloth. If you can manage it, strongly recommended.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Ted! For deep litter method to properly work doesn’t true composting needs to get hot? (160 degrees for a minimum of 3 full days to properly kill off pathogens like ecoli).
Thanks in advance!!

My understanding is both hot & cold composting work; search DLM for technical details.

What I can say from personal experience is DLM, in combination with drop boards under roosts & daily removal of waste from the drop boards WORKS! I have 30+ chickens and no foul smells nor significant fly issues. This with minimal maintenance.

For deep litter method to properly work doesn’t true composting needs to get hot? (160 degrees for a minimum of 3 full days to properly kill off pathogens like ecoli).
That's the theory, and yes in true composting scenarios, but not in chicken litter.
Coarse wood chippings, just 2-4"deep, will take care of decomposing the poops in the run.
I would not recommend sand as nothing will decompose in it and when it gets wet/thaws it will stink to high heavens.

That's the theory, and yes in true composting scenarios, but not in chicken litter.
Coarse wood chippings, just 2-4"deep, will take care of decomposing the poops in the run.
I would not recommend sand as nothing will decompose in it and when it gets wet/thaws it will stink to high heavens.
Thanks! So you’d suggest keeping the run during winter with 2-4” of coarse shavings and spot cleaning or do you leave it there for the winter and just rake the shavings around?
Also what about the Vapour wrapping idea for sort of an insulation effect.
The reason sand with the wrapping was recommended to me was because it would great a sort of greenhouse insulation and would keep the sand from freezing over and with spot cleaning like a cat litter it shouldn’t smell

So you’d suggest keeping the run during winter with 2-4” of coarse shavings and spot cleaning or do you leave it there for the winter and just rake the shavings around?
I've never 'cleaned' the run, in more than 10 years, just added more chippings on occasion...and sometimes a few dry leaves, grass clippings etc. Pics below.

Also what about the Vapour wrapping idea for sort of an insulation effect.
Not a bad idea to block wind and blowing snow.
Does your run have a solid roof?

full

full

Very little cleaning is required. Your birds will be scratching & digging most of the time and waste drys, breaks down. If you have a spot that needs attention sprinkle sunflower seeds or other food and they will turn things over for you.

I do tarp the walls of my run for winter including using clear plastic on the south facing walls, keeps the snow out. Chickens have their own insulation, do not need you to add more. Do make sure that they & their environments are dry, out of drafts, well ventilated to remove humidity, smells.

When we started with chickens DH built a small coop. Into it (actually slid the coop over) was a bale of straw, picky side up. In front of the bale was a few inches, I guess 1 foot bare so they could walk in, then hop up to the bale then the roost.

Chicken manure is known for being "hot", so you can't put it directly into your garden. Being hot, it decomposes quickly. All winter the chickens dropped manure into the bale of straw which slid down into the bale because the picky side was up, not the smooth side. Manure helps heat the coop. The chemical breakdown of the compost heats up the coop. Not dramatically, but apparently enough for our chickens. In early summer the coop was slid up and off and the straw went into the gardens.

This was a long term solution for us, but it could be a short term solution for you.

Back
Top Bottom