Canker and treatment meds question

TLM72

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
5 year old rooster, saw vet last Friday, removed chunk of presumed canker from throat, along with some blood, awaiting culture results.

Vet prescribed clavamox, 375 mg 2x day (seems high, but I believe is correct after research) he is 6.42 pounds.

Nystatin- put some in mouth 2x day

Fluconazole- once daily.

This seems like a lot. It’s my understanding fluconazole is “technically” not approved for use in poultry, so I haven’t started it.

Any thoughts? Should I start fluconazole? I obviously want him to get better, but concerned about dosing so much at once, especially before we get cultures back and know what we are in fact dealing with.

5 year old rooster, saw vet last Friday, removed chunk of presumed canker from throat, along with some blood, awaiting culture results.

Vet prescribed clavamox, 375 mg 2x day (seems high, but I believe is correct after research) he is 6.42 pounds.

Nystatin- put some in mouth 2x day

Fluconazole- once daily.

This seems like a lot. It’s my understanding fluconazole is “technically” not approved for use in poultry, so I haven’t started it.

Any thoughts? Should I start fluconazole? I obviously want him to get better, but concerned about dosing so much at once, especially before we get cultures back and know what we are in fact dealing with.
What's the question? Are you planning on eating the rooster?

You can either treat as the Vet has prescribed or not. If you question medications and dosing that the Vet has prescribed (you paid for the visit, for Vet's knowledge and expertise), then call and ask your questions and express your concerns.

Back
Top Bottom