Cannot figure out whats wrong

autumn_farms

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2023
Hello. Im hoping to maybe get some opinions on what may be going on with a hen.

to start: she is fairly old, no longer laying eggs. I dont know what breed she is specifically- just a brown hen.

She is slow, disinterested, and has a rather pale comb. her tail is sort of drooping. Ive checked her crop over multiple days, it is emptying normally and is not squishy or hard- its been normal. she does not have any visible injuries, she does not seem to have water belly, nor does she seem to have salpingitis from what i can tell (we had a chicken that had that one time, and this just seems different) Her eyes are clear and so are her nostrils. her poop is slightly runny but does not appear to be bloody or anything like that. We dewormed her recently. Now, she does currently have lice- we had given her a bath but i suppose we'll have to do another one as i saw more on her today. I just cant imagine she's this low because of lice, i feel like she has the lice because she feels poorly. maybe im wrong.

can lice alone cause a chicken to be this unwell?

Lice literally suck the life out of a bird.
Clean out your coop completely, apply permethrine based powder or spray, get all new bedding and litter. Treat the bird. How old is she actually?
she's older than 6. not sure on exact age. she came from a pretty rough place. we had just cleaned the coop out- we removed everything, perches, nest boxes, bedding.

she is fairly old, no longer laying eggs.

She is slow, disinterested, and has a rather pale comb. her tail is sort of drooping. Ive checked her crop over multiple days, it is emptying normally and is not squishy or hard- its been normal. she does not have any visible injuries, she does not seem to have water belly, nor does she seem to have salpingitis from what i can tell

We dewormed her recently. Now, she does currently have lice- we had given her a bath
How old is she?

Photos of her and her poop?

Dewormed recently with what? Dose and product.

Treat the lice with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray. I prefer dust for the birds and use spray for housing. Put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff, dust her well and work the dust all the way through the feather to the skin. Repeat in 5 day intervals. Spray your coop/roosting bars/nesting boxes, etc. to rid them of lice. Repeat in 5 day intervals. Might be worth dust all your hens too.

Slow, disinterested, tail down - these are often signs of a hen in decline with a reproductive problem. If she's not been laying eggs for a long time she may have cancer, eyp, salpingitis, etc. hard to know unless you lose her and have a necropsy or do an informal investigation on your own.

Back
Top Bottom