Celadon Quail hatching eggs help

Jennyhen890

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2024
Hi everyone,

Hatching some Celadon Quail. One had hairline crack before I put them in, wasn’t hopeful but sealed the crack with beeswax and day 5 it has life 😆 but another one that looked fine now looks like it’s going to explode and doesn’t look to be developing. I’ll attach a pic and see if you agree. It doesn’t smell. This is my first time with Quail so all advice will be appreciated. Also the last two pics at the end, is this one dead? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4199.jpeg
    IMG_4199.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4201.jpeg
    IMG_4201.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 12
That cracked one is certainly funky! At least you are starting with celadon eggs, they are a bit easier to candle. We did a couple hatched of regular quail eggs and had never candled anything, then put some light colored chicken eggs in (fertile fridge eggs from a friend) and boy were those easy afterwards. With quail you want to see the yolk shadow growing daily until you can’t see any green glow, just a reddish black blob. Veining and embryos are hit or miss. Careful with the cracked one as if the shell was compromised it may be bacterial growth rather than an embryo or the embryo might get overwhelmed by said bacteria, definitely toss if stinky!

Also I find my phone light (cheap android) actually works better than the built in incubator candlers, and if you don’t have a good candler it isn’t a bad option.

The edges on your cracked egg yolk mass are also funky, compare it with the bottom egg (infertile?) which is nice and smooth and rounded whereas the cracked egg looks almost lumpy/grape cluster like, that probably isn’t good. An infertile egg will sit just fine for weeks without going bad but one with a cracked shell is a ticking time bomb, if there are bacteria in there it could go bad fast, watch it close!

Thanks for all of your replies and help. That egg was indeed VERY funky 🤢 and most of the others were infertile. But two hatched, lower hatch rate than I’m used to but I did buy them as eating eggs 😂 I have two quail so I’m happy.
Any ideas on the genders? From our research we think we have one male one female. The darker one male, also he is very chatty. And the lighter with speckled chest female. Also, I know it’s difficult to tell now due to chest feathers coming through but Please say I’m right 😂 Any input would be great, thanks again 😊

Attachments

• IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for all of your replies and help. That egg was indeed VERY funky 🤢 and most of the others were infertile. But two hatched, lower hatch rate than I’m used to but I did buy them as eating eggs 😂 I have two quail so I’m happy.
Any ideas on the genders? From our research we think we have one male one female. The darker one male, also he is very chatty. And the lighter with speckled chest female. Also, I know it’s difficult to tell now due to chest feathers coming through but Please say I’m right 😂 Any input would be great, thanks again 😊
The darker one is not feather sexable but does appear to be male to me. Speckled chest one appears female as you suspected. Congratulations on your hatch! 2 is better than zero.

The darker one is not feather sexable but does appear to be male to me. Speckled chest one appears female as you suspected. Congratulations on your hatch! 2 is better than zero.
Thank you Muddy75 and thanks for replying 😊
Regarding the darker one not being feather sexable is that due to them being different variations of Coturnix quail? Ie pharaoh, Italian etc or is that just a colour? And if he is not feather sexable, what indicates to you that he is likely male? In order for me to look for these traits with future birds I have. Many thanks 😊

Thank you Muddy75 and thanks for replying 😊
Regarding the darker one not being feather sexable is that due to them being different variations of Coturnix quail? Ie pharaoh, Italian etc or is that just a colour? And if he is not feather sexable, what indicates to you that he is likely male? In order for me to look for these traits with future birds I have. Many thanks 😊
The colors that are not feather sexable (no speckled or bronze breast) must be vent sexed. I’m guessing the darker one is male by body shape and size but can only tell 100% by vent sexing or hearing a crow.

Back
Top Bottom