Chick bleeding through mouth

Ray987

Chirping
Apr 22, 2024
Hello

I noticed one of my chicks gasping for air a little bit i instantly isolated it thinking it could be a respiratory disease, it's just gasping every now and then not constant, 30 minutes later I noticed blood on peak it's not constant bleeding making me think it was choking on something instead?
It seems fine now peeping wanting to go out the cage I don't see any more gasping been an hour or so

Breed: Baladi
Bedding: Hay to sleep on, on dirt during the day
Feed: chick starter and treats
Age 22 days

Attachments

• IMG-20240805-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240805-WA0000.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20240805-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240805-WA0001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9
Could another chick have pecked its beak or tongue, or may be injured itself on something in the brooder? I would wipe off the blood, and stop the bleeding so that others don’t peck the red color.

Could another chick have pecked its beak or tongue, or may be injured itself on something in the brooder? I would wipe off the blood, and stop the bleeding so that others don’t peck the red color.
I don't think it got pecked on, the bleeding started like half an hour after I isolated the chick probably was choking on something It seems to be fine now but I'm keeping an eye, fingers crossed, respiratory diseases are my nightmare

It's gasping again, basically it happens after it eats and drinks, the crop is full of water like it drank a lot
I opened the peack and the chick vomited a colorless fluid (probably water)
Here's a pic of a fresh dropping

I noticed this on few other chicks after they eat they go drink a lot and gasp a bit during drinking but this one gasps the most

It looks like it keeps vomiting in it's mouth then swallowing it back, gasping for air a bit during that
Is this normal or these are symptoms for a disease?

Attachments

• IMG_20240809_005300.jpg
    IMG_20240809_005300.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Same chick different dropping
It's currently no longer gasping

Attachments

• IMG_20240809_020047.jpg
    IMG_20240809_020047.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 6
If the chick has a respiratory disease, it could gasp and spit up mucus. Those droppings could be normal and cecal droppings. Have you seen more blood from the beak?

If the chick has a respiratory disease, it could gasp and spit up mucus. Those droppings could be normal and cecal droppings. Have you seen more blood from the beak?
No more blood
I'm thinking it could be the hay bedding causing respiratory issues? I let them sleep in the brooder (hay bedding) it's not long hay but small clips and I notice some hay dust when they move around a lot during the day i move them to a run

No foamy eyes, chicks seems fine during the day

Dust, mold, and exposure to a respiratory disease through the hatching egg or a carrier can cause congestion and mucus. Testing if you lose one, would rule out a disease.

Back
Top Bottom