Chick feed to layer

It has to do with the extra calcium in layer feed. They don't need as much until they start producing egg shells every day. I don't think being on layer feed a little early will harm anyone, especially if you supplement some high protein treats. But it's probably simpler to just keep them on chick starter until they finish the next bag. They probably won't be laying until 20-25 weeks, so it's recommended to switch around then.

I use All Flock (20% protein) with oyster shell available on the side. Layer feed is low protein, usually 16%, and I feel better giving them higher protein.
Most chicken feed (All Flock, etc), has lots of soy in them. I can't eat eggs from chickens that have been fed soy... store bought or otherwise. I am allergic to soy so eating soy fed chicken eggs make me sick. Because of this, I need to feed my chickens organic soy-free feed (I like the idea it's organic also).
The organic soy-free layer feed my older hens are getting is 18%, and the soy-free chick feed is 22%. Plus, they are free ranging in separate areas with lots of grass and bugs.
And yes, it is a lot more expensive but it allows me to be able to eat eggs again. And if I have more eggs than I need, I have friends who help me with the feed cost so they can enjoy them also.

You can certainly stay with chick/grower feed as well, won’t hurt them! I feed it to my girls when they molt, but All Flock is cheaper than chick feed here.

Did you all know Chewy.com sells some brands of chicken feed? Was a whole new day when I figured that out!

Chick or meat bird feed is $22 vs all flock/raiser at $27. My neighbor gets chewy, I would except I buy it in large amounts.
I will check out Chewy but I doubt they have organic soy-free feed.

You can certainly stay with chick/grower feed as well, won’t hurt them! I feed it to my girls when they molt, but All Flock is cheaper than chick feed here.

Did you all know Chewy.com sells some brands of chicken feed? Was a whole new day when I figured that out!
I purchase Kalmbach, I believe they did have the organic, no idea about the soy-free though.
I am surprised! Chewy has the layer feed I buy for my hens. The chick feed only comes in a 10# bag tho and is waaay too expensive. Actually, both are too expensive. The layer feed is $5-$6 more for a 40# bag, depending if I do auto-ship, than what I pay at the feed store just down the road.
For now, I will continue to buy my feed from the feed store unless I find something on Chewy for less.
Thanks for the heads up tho, about Chewy having chicken feed!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom