Chicken Coop Vent and floor question!

homechick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Mineola, Tx
I'm designing my future coop for my 5 chickens tonight and I wanted some advice about where to put the vents and how many?
I could put doors on it so they can close in the winter if that is best. Also, I was wondering if I even need more than one? Is it best to put them near the roof because heat rises or is it okay if it's near where they pirch?
Also, is it good to have them on opposite walls for circulation? Does that matter? *sigh*!
What if i just had a wood floor and a wall that opened so I could sweep it out every week or so? Would it be best if I just had a wire floor for it all to fall through?
ONE more thing! What are the benefits of the coop being movable? Is it bad if it's not? It might be easier if I don't have to move it all over the place.
More stress! Why can't there just be a chicken coop builder around here? Ah well! Guess I AM the chicken coop builder!

I think you should look at the coops designed on the home page here they will give you some good ideas. Since your in the south no reason not to have wire underneath your roosts so the poop can fall on the ground outside for easier clean up. Wish I had that luxery.

For my coop, I was thinking 2 vents for the left side and 2 for the right. A total of about 4. Plus 1 window per side. I'm hoping that will provide more than enough ventilation.

First off how big is the coop going to be? You can but cheap vents at Lowes that just screw to the outside of the coop. All you do is cut a hole smaller than the vent then screw it to the coop.

I always place my vents on the opposite wall of the chicken door and at the top of the wall. This way air coming in the chicken door goes up and out at the top of the opposite wall taken the smell with it.

Check out our pics. in coop design and construction for a small coop. We have windows on three sides of the garage and the sliding doors of the garage on the fourth side. Hope this helps. It doesn't have to look fancy. The chickens just want to be safe and comfortable.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom