Chicken crouching/not moving around - sudden change in behavior

Saidwyn

Hatching
Aug 10, 2024
Photo and video here:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Salmon faverole, 14 weeks

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is spreading her wings slightly ("hulking") and crouching and tucking her butt under, barely moving around, not running with the other chickens. She hardly moving around at all. I noticed about an hour ago when I went to let the flock out and she stayed in the coop. If she was human, I'd say she's trying to poop - I think she still a little young for laying eggs, but I'm a new owner, so I'm not sure. Seems alert and distressed, managed to sprint outside when I was sprinkling some scratch, but didn't eat and went and hid under the coop.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
1-2 hours? She was up on the roosting bar when I went to bed last night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Can't tell yet

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I found one poop that looks like photos of "intestinal lining" (slightly bloody), but I don't know which hen it is from

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Prefer to do it myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Photo and video here:
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

She seems to be bobbing her bottom up and down, is she pushing ?
Not bobbing much, she's mostly just sitting in one spot now. Yes, I think she is pushing... She has that arch in her back like she's tucking her butt down, tail flicking a tiny bit.

I have seen this behavior but it was VERY brief and it was shock from a rooster mounting my pullet for the first time. Lol I just so happen to be there when Jethro decided "Now is the time" lol.

Her behavior could be sour crop, (I lost four of my six chicks to it, 😩) or any of the many illnesses chickens can get. Just push fluids, check for injuries? See if she'll eat some scrambled eggs.

Oftentimes, they'll just get better on their own. Observation is certainly key but check her crop for yeast infection and possibly coccidiosis which may mean more chickens might start acting this way so be sure to check the other chickens later too. I'm not terribly seasoned but I've experienced a few of the above since I've had this flock (since January) so I'll share what I can!

Not bobbing much, she's mostly just sitting in one spot now. Yes, I think she is pushing... She has that arch in her back like she's tucking her butt down, tail flicking a tiny bit.

Can you feel and egg ? Is there any discharge at all ? Is it pink and healthy looking ?
I cannot feel an egg (poop came out when I checked - no blood, maybe a couple pink specs) or any discharge.
She's eating scrambled eggs not but still sitting all hunched and tense and not moving around.

Based on the color of her comb, I don’t think she is mature enough to lay, either, but if you suspect she is egg bound, you can immediately administer a 600mg calcium plus D3 human vitamin tablet. Sometimes you can feel an egg in between her legs in her abdomen; I always struggle to feel this, but have a few times right before my (non egg bound) hens have laid.

What does her crop feel like? It should be relatively flat this early in the morning.

Other than that advice, let me call on the experts @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

Start her on Corid for coccidiosis. Give a drench dose for three days in addition to the Corid solution. The drench dose is .5ml undiluted Corid directly into the beak once a day for three days. If she responds fairly quickly to this, you have your mostly likely diagnosis as coccidiosis. That means you should treat the whole flock with the Corid water.

Based on the color of her comb, I don’t think she is mature enough to lay, either, but if you suspect she is egg bound, you can immediately administer a 600mg calcium plus D3 human vitamin tablet. Sometimes you can feel an egg in between her legs in her abdomen; I always struggle to feel this, but have a few times right before my (non egg bound) hens have laid.

What does her crop feel like? It should be relatively flat this early in the morning.

Other than that advice, let me call on the experts @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

I haven't felt her crop before (newbie here!) - she just ate, so I think I found it, and it's firm. A little higher up than I was expecting, too...

Back
Top Bottom