crunchygranola

Songster
May 6, 2024
Had a poor girl pass out from the heat though the rest of her flock handled it very well. I immediately brought her inside after submerged her body in cold water for a few minutes. Got her comfortable freezing water and frozen fruit, two mini fans set up, and cold compresses around her. She seems to be a little more alert and calm now, but I’m still worried sick… will be keeping her in the AC and pumping her with electrolytes to hopefully reverse this with minimal damage. Poor baby Rashonda… please keep her in your prayers :(
*The fans are super super soft foam so there’s no way it can hurt her. Oddly enough, she enjoys sticking her comb in it and letting it hit her lol
On another note… does anyone else feel super super guilty and like a terrible chicken parent anytime their chicken gets sick or injured…? I think she’ll be okay but I can’t shake that awful feeling… Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpeg
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    825 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    790.1 KB · Views: 11
Be patient. She will start drinking. She doesn’t need ice packs. It can be dangerous to soak a chicken or even a human child in cold water. Cool water is fine. Electrolytes are good for a day or two. You can also add water to a small amount of chicken feed and scrambled egg to get more fluids in her. Do you have much shade where they spend their days? If not make some with shade cloth, tables with a tarp, and plant some bushes or every green trees.

Be patient. She will start drinking. She doesn’t need ice packs. It can be dangerous to soak a chicken or even a human child in cold water. Cool water is fine. Electrolytes are good for a day or two. You can also add water to a small amount of chicken feed and scrambled egg to get more fluids in her. Do you have much shade where they spend their days? If not make some with shade cloth, tables with a tarp, and plant some bushes or every green trees.
Okay, thank you so much… I’m super new to all of this.
I did install a canopy over the coop, fans, a small kiddie pool, a cooling brick, and ice water. They free range the majority of the day unless I’m at work and I live next to a small woods where they hang out and play in. As for the chicken in my room, thank you so much and I will definitely try that!

Take away the ice packs from under her, she can get serious frost bite.

No need for frozen food or ice water. Just fresh cool water several times a day will be best and don't overdo the electrolytes.

She might have some other issue like a hard time to get a (shell-less) egg out. And check the copp at night for poultry mites.

Last edited:
Keeping a bucket of water filled and ready, in the shade, is cool enough for an emergency, and keeps it ready and available. I do this in the heat of the summer, so it's always there if needed. You can dunk the bird quickly without it being cold enough for shock. Mine don't trust a pool, so in the heat of the day I leave a hose on a trickle, makes a puddle they can stand in, in the shade, to cool off some. I always alternate electrolites with plain, fresh water. Hope she recovers.

Keeping a bucket of water filled and ready, in the shade, is cool enough for an emergency, and keeps it ready and available. I do this in the heat of the summer, so it's always there if needed. You can dunk the bird quickly without it being cold enough for shock. Mine don't trust a pool, so in the heat of the day I leave a hose on a trickle, makes a puddle they can stand in, in the shade, to cool off some. I always alternate electrolites with plain, fresh water. Hope she recovers.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

Do you think she will recover?
She spent overnight in the A.C and i’m getting a little more movement from her, but still stumbling…
She’s eating a bit more, though.

Back
Top Bottom