Chicken is weak and unstable on feet

Orangesoda

Hatching
Sep 11, 2024
I have a flock of 4 who are quite young and have only started to lay the last 4 weeks. The other are fine. The last few days I have noticed only 3 eggs being laid but as one of the hens are moulting and they are new layers I wasn’t concerned.
Yesterday my chicken was in her coup, I don’t think much of it as it was raining all day however my other chickens chose to stay out in it. This morning I opened the coup and they all came out apart from her. She seemed a little unstable and was reluctant to leave her coup. At lunch time she was in the pen but chose not to free range alongside the others and there was an egg beside her. Today I had 4 eggs so she must have laid it. She was very weak and kept closing her eyes and doesn’t want to move. I have put her in a separate crate but still in the run. I noticed mustard consistency and coloured poop.
Her legs are smooth if a little pale.
She is mite and worm free
Her vent is clean
No discharge around eyes or beak.
She won’t eat or drink
I have offered high protein treats, put electrolytes in water but I am very concerned.
Any help or advice would be appreciated

If she was having trouble laying then there could be another egg in the pipeline. I would give her a calcium citrate +D once a day (citracal or generic equivalent, any brand, 600-800 mg dose) to help with contractions, until she lays normally. It will help her expel an egg or the remains if one was broken. I would crate her and keep her in a low light, quiet, warm area, so she can relax. You can insert a gloved, lubed finger in the vent, 1-2 inches to see if you can feel an egg. The yellow droppings are concerning, if an egg broke inside that can lead to infection. A warm soak in epsom salts can help them relax and pass an egg, the only caution is if the bird is sick with something else a bath is not a good idea. After a soak make sure she's completely dry, so she doesn't get chilled, you can use a blow dryer on low. New layers can have glitches, so hopefully that's all that this is.

Back
Top Bottom