Chicken with major mental trauma

shannon84

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
I have this hen that my rooster has it in for. He treats her badly and different from my other hens. She's is scared to eat in his presence or look at him. She screams loudy and drops to the ground. So I now have isolated her in my temporary small coop. My question is can she recover and act like a normal chicken again. She acts like she has ptsd. I feel absolutely terrible for her 😞 she screams if I even get near her

For the first time ever, I have had this scenario show up. The rooster hates my black hen and puts her on the run. If she peaks out of the coop, he attacks. Beats her up pretty roughly, and she hangs in the coop and I am pretty sure eats eggs.

I free range quite a bit, I have a good dog, and a fair rooster, and predator wise (I am whispering) I have had good luck recently. I have out building, and let her roost in one of those at night.

She wants to be with the flock, but he is relentless. Thing is, they are both on my cull list. She was even before this started. He was 50/50. But I have some young boys and I think I will keep one or two of them.

It takes a lot of management to get a happy flock.

Mrs K

Are the two related? On average, roosters are meaner to their sisters than any other hen. Is the hen broody? Sometimes if this is a new thing, that's just a sign of her going broody. Other times, she's going broody to get away from him. Is the hen otherwise healthy?

I would get rid of the rooster (cull, give to bachelor flock, tick control), as once she's gone for awhile, he very well may go after another.

I had an EE rooster that targeted my Buff Orpington/Buff Brahma cross named Nalla. They weren't related and she was healthy. He attacked her so bad that he first left deep holes in her back (before I knew the issue) and ripped her neck open in a single peck (that's when I knew he was the issue). I had separated her before I realized he was the issue and while she was away, he started pecking a hole in another hen's back. When Nalla healed, I returned her to the flock and was shocked to see her so scared of him. When I caught her and brought her to the (non-people aggressive) rooster, that's when he went after her neck. I quickly removed him from the flock, and after a few days I had given him a few other hens and one went broody just to get away from him, which was another display it was him, not the hens.
One these three hens, I later introduced them to the rooster's son (this rooster hatched before he started attacking Nalla). They all did great with the son, and after keeping Nalla for a few more years, she did excellent with other roosters as well. That first rooster was the only issue. On the son, he was no issue with any others except for with his sister, which was no more than a little bullying that wasn't noticeable unless you knew the two.

Back
Top Bottom