Chickens Panting and Sitting in the Coop by the window!

FeatheredFamily6

In the Brooder
May 16, 2024
Massachusetts
Hi everyone!

I have read a lot of peoples concerns about panting and overheating.

It’s my chickens first night in the coop and during the day they were fine. Actually adjusted really well. But I went out to check on them as I was worried about how humid it is today (90% ~ feels like 80 and it’s 9:30pm at night). I have three of my chickens laying on the window, worried that predators will try and attack them if they see them by window. Do I need more ventilation?

I have one on the roosting bar and the other two I can’t really see them but they must be laying down on the floor.

I plan to get a fan tomorrow for them but will they be okay and last throughout the night? Or should I bring them back inside? Please help, thank you!

Here are the photos to reference:

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpeg
    IMG_5777.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5758.jpeg
    IMG_5758.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5757.jpeg
    IMG_5757.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5756.jpeg
    IMG_5756.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 11
Do I need more ventilation?
Maybe. Post pics of your coop, inside and out.
Put a thermometer inside the coop so you can know what the temp is in there.

Panting can be from stress as well as heat.

It’s my chickens first night in the coop and during the day they were fine.
Where were they living before you put them in the coop?

Here are the photos to reference:
Shows minimal ventilation.

Maybe. Post pics of your coop, inside and out.
Put a thermometer inside the coop so you can know what the temp is in there.

Panting can be from stress as well as heat.

Where were they living before you put them in the coop?

Shows minimal ventilation.
I ordered a solar panel fan for the coop but it won’t be here until Tuesday, does four more 4” holes with hardwire cloth enough ventilation until then? I was thinking of putting them on the back end. Behind the roosting bars.

Thank you!

Last edited:
You need sq ft of ventilation, not sq inches. A 4" hole adds 12.5 sq inches. You'd need 11.5 of them to equal 1 sq ft, which would be enough for 1 bird in a moderate climate.

The window helps but yes in hot weather you'll need more than one larger vent.

You need sq ft of ventilation, not sq inches. A 4" hole adds 12.5 sq inches. You'd need 11.5 of them to equal 1 sq ft, which would be enough for 1 bird in a moderate climate.

The window helps but yes in hot weather you'll need more than one larger vent.
Okay! I added four more at the back and cut out a hole to put a solar fan that takes out the hot air. I am hoping that will be enough but of course I will add more if I need too. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 0
My chickens have been panting inside a covered run under a canopy of trees all week (it only gets filtered sun) I can only imagine how hot it would be if their coop was in full sun.Here in the mountains of WV its usually cooler because of the trees but its been miserable hot now for weeks.I use the deep litter method and sprinkle water on top of the pine shavings and pine pellets on the floor and the chickens dig a hole to cool off there. I also add a block of ice to the water so they have cool water to drink all day.I've been free ranging more so they can at least feel a breeze

My chickens have been panting inside a covered run under a canopy of trees all week (it only gets filtered sun) I can only imagine how hot it would be if their coop was in full sun.Here in the mountains of WV its usually cooler because of the trees but its been miserable hot now for weeks.I use the deep litter method and sprinkle water on top of the pine shavings and pine pellets on the floor and the chickens dig a hole to cool off there. I also add a block of ice to the water so they have cool water to drink all day.I've been free ranging more so they can at least feel a breeze
It’s not full Sun. The coop is in the Sun for about 3- 4 hours during the day the rest of the time it’s in the shade. I also have a block of ice to their water and cool down the run with water as well. I think I am going to add something to the roof to get more shade during that 4 hours. Thank you for the tips and tricks!

Back
Top Bottom