Chicks beak

Chicken12goh

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
DCE78A95-FABB-4FA8-B700-79A2582B0B10.jpeg
What is wrong with my baby chick

Looks like the top beak has an overhang. From the front, do they mesh or do both sides go different directions (crossbeak)?

We just had a young pullet about 3 mos old we saw have that overhang. I just snipped it off with a nail clipper and boy did she start chowing down. She hadn't lost weight so I'm not sure why she seemed so hungry but she kept eating and eating their crumbles like she was starving.

Looks like the top beak has an overhang. From the front, do they mesh or do both sides go different directions (crossbeak)?

We just had a young pullet about 3 mos old we saw have that overhang. I just snipped it off with a nail clipper and boy did she start chowing down. She hadn't lost weight so I'm not sure why she seemed so hungry but she kept eating and eating their crumbles like she was starving.
I see her beak is longer but I’m concerned about that flap of skin under her beak because it showed up out of no where. She also sometimes stands still and acts like she is drinking something.

This condition always frustrates me when I see it. It’s rare and incredibly sad. This and this thread may be useful to you in deciding what to do. I’m very sorry this is happening to your chick.

Edit to add; I believe this is what you’re dealing with, anyways.

Essentially the bottom beak stops growing. The top beak then overgrows the bottom beak and makes eating difficult. Adding to that difficulty, the tongue forms a pocket in the lower beak because it has nowhere else to sit as it grows. That is the lump you’re seeing under her bottom beak.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom